Soumettre un article Soumettre un article

Puma Campaign: #DoYou

Avatar Ashley T.

You do you, and I'll do me.

You do you, and I'll do me.

Recently, it was announced that Cara Delevingne is the new face of Puma's "Do You" campaign, with Rihanna as its creative director. Judging from the bold, unabashed pictures that were snapped during Delevingne's photo shoot, this campaign holds high promises for what's to come when its full details are released in the near future.

In a world as contemporary as ours, it's becoming increasingly harder to truly be ourselves and, to put Puma's new campaign into context, "do us". Sometimes, we find ourselves facing an exceeding amount of pressure to conform to societal expectations, and these compulsions have only been augmented by the various types of media that infiltrate our everyday lives. Even when we step away from our online personas, we can, at times, feel like we do not belong in a certain social group, or do not fit the norms of what others typically expect us to be.

In my personal life, I, too, have experienced quandaries like these. For most of my life, I've been a lover of all things pink and sparkly, which some may view as rather "whimsical" or "childish". But these are my predilections, and these are what make me me. Over the years, I've learned that being different and being your own person should never be a weakness - it should be a strength that is widely celebrated, because each of us is sui generis! It should be comforting to know that there is only one of us, rather than a battalion of us who attempt to talk the same, act the same, feel the same, look the same. So when someone spots me sporting a bright pink backpack now from a mile away and mutters with an eye-roll, "That's so Ashley!", I always flash them my toothiest smile and proudly declare, "You're right, it is so me!"

Granted, it's always hard trying to be ourselves while disregarding what others think of us. Till this day, I still face an inner conflict of whether I should be proud of who I am and what I like, or whether I should take a backseat and attempt to alter parts of myself into something that I'm not to fit a certain social standard. But if I were to become resigned to the latter, I would be morphing into a different version of myself that simply isn't authentic at all. So instead, in the words of Delevingne herself, I will "do me" by "(taking) ownership of (myself) and finding power within that ownership". Because only then can I take on a version of myself that is truly genuine and unique.

Ultimately, to be, or not to be, should no longer be the question. Because the answer is always going to be "to be". And I may never be a beauty queen, but I'm always going to be beautiful me.