Enviar un artículo Enviar un artículo

Peace education is the need of the hour in India

Publicado
Rishika

Avatar Rishika
Se registró el día 19 de junio de 2018

As per the Global Peace Index (2018), India ranked a low 136 among 163 countries. I believe this data is not only depressing, but also surprising in a nation that is so prosperous and fulfilling with culture and traditions.

The seeds of peace are sown during childhood and adolescence and can be cultivated by ‘‘peace education’- “the process of acquiring the values, the knowledge and developing the attitudes, skills, and behaviours to live in harmony with oneself, with others, and with the natural environment.” This type of education advocates making yoga, meditation and other stress releasing practices an essential part of a school's curriculum. I believe that Indian schools place an emphasis on academics and often ignore peace producing practices. Looking at the current situation I feel that it would not be incorrect to say that peace education is the need of the hour.

Peace education can be implemented through regular yoga and meditation sessions, counselling and discussions, and by paying attention to the physical, mental, psychological or social problems experienced by students. Young minds are easy to mold and it is always better to mold them in a way that is not only beneficial for them, but for all of society. A peaceful citizen is an asset to a nation and the nations that rank high in the peace index unsurprisingly rank high in happiness as well. So instead of making the system rigid for the criminals, why not make a system which doesn’t produce any. Peace education is one sure way. Let children be educated in a way that they grow into peaceful adults who work towards constructing the future of a peaceful society and not destroying the harmony of its citizens. This can be summed up in the words of Gandhi, which say, “If we are going to bring about peace in the world, we have to begin with the children”.