#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

To empower (v.)

Empowerment doesn’t come from the absence of fear, it comes from facing it head on. Dealing with one...

LITTLE RED ROSE.

Oh dear little rose,you are so cherished!YOU HAVE COLOR,of love, dreams, passion, and fire.YOU HAVE...

IT'S BEEN 7 YEARS!

Today, when I read about the violence in Eastern Ghouta, Syria, my blood started to boil. I just rea...

Youth Faces of the world

When I joined VOY years ago, I was 17, and still in High School. I had a very regular life: I used t...

The youth have spoken

7 years ago, a group of young people stood up in front of the policymakers during the Commission on...

How war changed me

2011I was 11-years-old when the war started in my country, Syria. I was too young to understand what...

#PressForProgress: International Women's Day 2018

The world is a sphere,Two partitions.Life's a car,Two people behind its wheel.Then why a bar,In betw...

Redefining Masculinity: Intersectionality and the Scale of Gender Oppr...

After in depth interviews and discussions with trainers in 2001, Women for Women International (WfWI...

Our Childhood Heroes Are Real

Ultra-Man, Kamen Riders, the Power-Rangers.We've all grown up watching superheroes on TV, haven't we? They're super cool, the way they always show up at the perfect time to kick some monster butt and save the typical damsel in distress. Aren't they? Capes, masks, boots, gloves, suits, belts, signatu...

You Count

More often than not, we believe that we are too small to bring about change or that what we do does...