#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

United for the world

War. Terror. Crisis. Fear. Not really the description you’d expect of our world today, but sadly it’s true, these words depict the situation in the world perfectly: states in conflict with each other, attacks on humanity, hunger and health crisis, refugees on the run – a world dominated by fear, ins...

The LGBTQ Revolution

The LGBTQ community is one of the most discriminated and abused minority in the world. The quality...

It Starts Here

We wonder why our world is lacking peace and is full of so much corruption. Let me tell you why. I w...

That Fight For Peace

In The History Of Hindu Mythology, Ravana, The Demon King Was Killed By Unity Which Symbolized That...

Dear Youth, Act Now, Not Tomorrow

Dear youth, act now, not tomorrow.The global population of youth, as of October 2016, stands at 1.8B...

#MeToo: Talking about Sexual Assault

I woke up to Twitter yesterday to many tweets on #MeToo from people I know, and all of them were sha...

Have we ceased to be welcoming to migrants and refugees?

I’m Italian and in the past few months I’ve been rather proud of the way my country was welcoming re...

Undocumented Immigrant Women: The Walls between Abuse, the Law and the...

One of the most critical issues within the field of Migration Studies today remains the delicate sta...

Segregation: Tragedy of the Mind

Segregation: a reflection of how our brain categorizes everything we see and do.Picture a living thi...

Debate with the world

Slaves of the world's confines, isolated in our own minds, what is yours? what is mine? are we in control of our own time? an action does not define yet we divide humans into different lines, peace? we decline, war seems divine, kill our own race and celebrate with wine, we want it all, every dollar...