#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Talking Much, Saying Little

From cellphones to laptops to cellphones that are also laptops, we’re more connected than any genera...

To All Those Suffering in Silence

To all the people that have been suffering but never reached out, take a deep breath. I know it has...

Being Fearless: How to Stop Time by Matt Haig

One of the bestsellers of the summer of 2017, “How to Stop Time” by Matt Haig indeed is a legendary...

Where are you, humanity?

Yemen, 25 August: an airstrike killed 14 civilians in Faj Attan, a residential neighborhood in the c...

The Price

It feels pitch black in this light of day,And all I can think is how our worldMight be falling apart...

Anguished Cries

Till last she was hookedAt the end his look was crookedHe laughed hearing their criesTheir hopes mel...

Scarred

Tears roll down her cheeks as she wished in her little mind that she could help in this situation. S...

At the Brink of Nuclear Annihilation Once Again

I am no political scientist or national security expert; I am simply a young student watching from t...

Lullaby

Mud.Blood.Scar.War.Are you right? Are they wrong? This is a fightWith real bombs.There is killingAnd...

Response to: Letter from a broke student

Angelica, I really found your post very interesting. First of all, let me tell you that I am a Chile...