#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Eyes of Green

You are watched. When you look at me,The reflection of your eyes looks back.I can see your shirt and...

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...

...As the days roll by

AS THE DAYS ROLL BY, I bow my head in shame and look up to the sky to feel a reassurance within my s...

Strings

Some of us have strings wound around our bones and souls stretching into the sky,Some of us have thr...

My Skin Colour Hasn’t Changed, But The Way I View Myself Certainly Has...

Isn’t it weird that during childhood, someone’s view affected our thinking on social ethics, religio...

Under the olive tree

Darling, we could beUnder the olive tree,Exchanging stories about love.The world is so rough.Throw a...

Refugees

Since a long time ago I had been very curious about the “Refugees” issue and had planned an article...

7 Cups: A Caring Revolution

As a psychology major currently in university, I have always been interested in mental health – its...

All is one, one is all

I would like to share the message, to all humans worldwide, that balancing your life is the backbone...

Children in wars

War...one of the most violent actions in the world. With all the destruction, pain and terror it cau...