#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Everything I have is a gift

Wilson Kubwayo was only two years old when he and his family were forced to flee civil war in their...

Spectacle of education

They say children are the leaders of tomorrow, but how can we lead tomorrow if we have a narrow visi...

Hole In Me

Clawing to free myself,Gasping for air, panic,Silently screaming,The silence hits like a slap in the...

Who’s more sustainable: An individual or society?

From the beginning of mankind we have lived in societies, communities, tribes and families. I believ...

My Journey, My Flag

My journey, my flag.The final salute,She said as tears dripped down her face.The words never came.Her life, my pain.The writing said it all, she was all gone.The red flashing light said it all.She passed away in spirit and soul, she’ll never go.But that was the day the words never came.Therefore, as...

If we want to achieve the Global Goals, we must protect girls from vio...

Adolescent girls – not only in Jamaica but around the world – face daily issues regarding their sexu...

Poverty in the Philippines

Poverty— seven letters that affect the lives of billions of people worldwide, especially those in my...

Your heart, is not a canvas of art

We have gotten so used to playing with our hearts,like we are experimenting with art,treating it lik...

Political Picnic (poem)

i roll up a rug and carry it on my back for the picnic.a picnic with sandwiches of the truthin a ric...

Eyes of a Syrian

Running my fingersThrough the broken wallsThe broken windowsAndThe broken livesI look aroundThe worl...