#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Is fighting for change worth it?

Why are you here?If you're reading this, I will safely assume that you are here for a reason along t...

The Comfort in the Uncomfortable

It was the most mundane thing that got my mind racing the other day: A question in my psychology tex...

Do not choose violence

Currently, there are a lot of things happening on our own planet: technology is now mesmerizingly de...

Fight For Children's Rights

Children are the most vulnerable people in the world. They’re given much attention, but this isn’t e...

It's Time To Break The Somali Mental Health Stigma

Somalia is a nation with a rich history, a nation that births storytellers, writers, poets, and noma...

What I wish my younger self knew

Growing up, we all face difficult times. We have our happy days while playing in the sand, and sad d...

The Power of Pop: Why BTSxUnitedNations Is So Important

If you have access to the Internet and haven't been living under a rock for the past year or so, you...

Eyes of Green

You are watched. When you look at me,The reflection of your eyes looks back.I can see your shirt and...

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...

...As the days roll by

AS THE DAYS ROLL BY, I bow my head in shame and look up to the sky to feel a reassurance within my s...