#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Being kind can change the world

Living in this generation can be hard sometimes. It's difficult to grow up in a world where all the...

They Bleed Red Blood Too...

“To empower a woman is to empower a community.”The world population has already reached 8 billion. With such high number, we still seem to fail to grow and flourish at a fast pace. Why? Now, let me ask, how can we succeed if half of us are held back? How can we advance if half of the world’s voice i...

22 WAYS TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

Happy belated new year! I celebrated my 22nd birthday on January 6 and, in honour of that, here are...

Algorithm of Rape Anxiety

Many will argue it’s not a thing, rather another pity cry by the “feminist”. There will be those who...

The Lighthouse

Serenely you find yourself,Eminent and vigorous in the face of the wavesThat move on your surface.Un...

The Hidden Beauty Of Our Generation

We are so inclined towards all the bad in the world that we forget about the good things that exist....

Future of Our Generation

For many years, since I can remember, I have always heard phrases like “Back in my day…” and “Things like this never happened when I was a kid.” These phrases led me to start understanding the importance of how one generations’ actions could affect another’s’ for years to come.Recently, I had a conv...

14 Oct: A day that has changed everything

When a suicide bomber detonated huge truck at Mogadishu’s busiest junction (Zoobe) on 14th October a...

The Times

Gone are the times when we had to stand before each and every elder that crossed paths with us…..and...

The Holiday Spirit

As the year is coming to an end and we wait for the new year to begin, I would like to reflect on th...