#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

#16DaysofActivism : VOY inspire

The #16DaysofActivism starts on 25 Nov and the theme is Gender Based Violence. Recently I got a chan...

Home Sweet Home - or is it?

The screams, the profanity, the exploitation of the ones trapped inside their own homes. Arriving at school the next day, bruised from head to toe: sleep deprived and terrified to return home, once the day is over.Being beaten, slandered, and sexually abused has turned into an every day reality for...

To men who stalk women

What do you generally do when a girl refuses or negates your romantic overtures?Ideally speaking, you should move away from her, respecting her decision and morals.But what you actually do, is consider it an act of disrespect. You fail to understand her decision. Instead, you analyze it with the hel...

The Fall

You saw five minutes of heaven and thoughtThat you were already there to last.And as for the rest of...

Don't be afraid

In the last few years, several countries all around the world have experienced terrorist attacks. In...

Letter to the helpless children in the warzones

Hello dear children,How are you doing on this fine day? It is a fine day here but it doesn't feel like a fine day in my heart when I remember you. I am reminded that you are suffering for the actions of generations ahead of us. I wish I can make it all better for you with the words that come out of...

I say "PEACE and HARMONY"

When you say peace, you will see peace, when you say harmony, you will see a united world, when you...

I Don't Wanna Talk About it

I don’t want to talk about my problems. I don’t want to talk about race. I don’t want to talk about...

"Jungle justice" needs to stop

We have the judicial system and laws in our country to help regulate society, guide people, and prev...

The Kenyan Crisis

I don't know how many members of the Voices of Youth community read about Kenya. If you do, you know that things aren't going very well down here. If you don't, now you know. Things aren't going so well here in Kenya. Long story short, on August 8th, we had a national general election and, on 1st Se...