#Violence

Violence takes place when someone uses their strength or their position of power to hurt someone else intentionally, not by accident. There are many ways to hurt someone, such as causing or threatening to cause physical, mental or emotional harm.

Violence can be very open and evident, such as warfare on a battlefield, a conflict between rivaling street gangs or a brawl on a schoolyard. On the other hand, violence also occurs hidden and on a more subliminal level. Violence against women and children, for example, often takes place behind closed doors and includes, besides evident physical violence, sexual abuse, intimidation, controlling and neglect.

Young people around the world are affected by all kinds of violence, open and hidden, evident and subliminal. Young people can be the victims of violence, as well as the perpetrators. Besides the examples mentioned above, bullying has emerged as a major concern for youth. Bullying can be witnessed in schools, but also in after-school hangouts or on social media platforms, far away from the eyes of parents and teachers.

Marginalized groups often turn out to be the first victims of violence, be it due to race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, age or economic status. Young people worldwide are at the forefront when it comes to protecting vulnerable groups and leading nonviolent protests. That means besides being victims or perpetrators, young people as often are changemakers, advocates and activists for peace. Let’s connect, collaborate and mobilize to create the biggest youth movement for peace and justice the world has ever seen!

Researching issues connected to violence, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations - Peace and Security

World Health Organization - Youth Violence

UN Women - Ending Violence Against Women

United Nations Children’s Fund -End Violence Against Children

Do you love what you have?

Imagine this. You are a helpless young child who has just crossed endless waters with your family an...

A Cow, a Lemon Tree, and a Little School

I was born into a privileged environment. Into a wealthy family, in an area of Italy where, despite...

Alien perspective

Where am I, why is every alien a slave, why do aliens get locked up when they misbehave, why do they preach peace yet they seek war, why is there no love anymore, everyone has their own name yet they are all the same, a number determines their level of respect, if your number is high it means you ar...

Home

I have always considered this beautiful Earth a gift we were given, an explosion of art and colours,...

My sweet child...

Oh sweet child!The fear in your innocent eyes, the trembling of your tiny hands, the salty tears wetting your face should not be your ‘good night’. The pain you feel through your bruised, little body should have never been implanted on you. Parents represent our world, they are our biggest support a...

The Hidden Victims of the Migration Crisis

When I found out that my mother was dead, I collapsed on the floor and started screaming hystericall...

World Refugee Day: I Sat with a Refugee Child from Syria and Took a Gl...

Every year on June 20, the world commemorates World Refugee Day. Last year, I had the privilege of p...

Hope for a change

I don't know if the people really don't know what happens in this world, or if they are just ignoran...

Dear Future Leaders

This piece belongs to a three-part series written by Kelepi Baba, Monica Angulo, and Leah Davidson.D...

Rape is never the victim's fault

Dear people, there are a lot of things that you just don't understand.If rape was about how revealin...