#Technology

Massive technological innovation on an unprecedented scale is probably one of the key decisive developments of the past decades. To highlight the importance of this development, many speak of a “technological revolution”, making reference to the the industrial revolution, which abruptly changed the course of history.

Technological innovation occurs on a variety of different levels and with different purposes. Sadly enough, a lot of technological innovation is attributed to military research - high-tech weapons systems are a big market. A positive side effect of this are so called “spin-offs”, military inventions that are turned into civilian goods - implantable hearing aids, rescue drones, or the Internet are just a few examples.

But technological innovation also happens in other sectors, such as medicine, transport, communication and IT. For young people, the vast penetration of mobile phones and increased access to the Internet is certainly one of the most relevant technological developments today. An internet connection - fixed or mobile - allows anybody to access any type of information almost instantaneously and connects people from all corners of the world. Of course, this has a tremendous impact on how we communicate with each other - emails, social media platforms and video chats are the new mail, faxes and telephones.

Technological innovation can greatly contribute to the economic, social and political development of countries. Access to the Internet empowers everyone - to young people it offers increased opportunities to participate in community life and make their voices heard, be it via online tutorials, job portals or social media campaigns. Yet, in 2015 only 40% of the world population have ever connected to the Internet. It’s our duty to push for affordable Internet access for everyone and raise awareness among peers on how to become responsible digital citizens.

Researching issues connected to technology, you might want to check out these resources:

UN Conference on Trade and Development - Science and Technology for Development

International Telecommunication Union - Children and Youth

Brookings - Center for Technology Innovation

Voices of Youth - Citizens

Web Top Ten - Top 10 Tech News Sites

Safe spaces for youth: An International Youth Day 2018 statement

“Enjoy your youth, you’ll never be younger than you are at this very moment”Let us start this discus...

Youth Parliament

“Our youth are not failing the system; the system is failing our youth. Ironically, the very youth w...

Holding the controller, but out of the game

“Gaming, what a thing, back when I was your age, I had my Audi and I was running my own business” sa...

On finding a way to connect

The prevalence of technology and social media seems to suggest that the world is more connected than...

Save the planet, save children!

I just came back from the USA after completing a year as a Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (Y...

GEN X vs. GEN Y

This was the topic for my extempore when I was applying for a post in "some" company. It baffled me...

Gene editing has become real

Usually, posts on here don’t talk about science, I know. At least not about natural sciences. (I’m n...

Join the youth crew

It’s still alive. The feeling of belonging to something bigger than us is still there. What am I tal...

The digital civil rights movement: A new method of black activism

After leaders such as Thurgood Marshall and Martin Luther King Jr., the perils of segregation and po...

The user shall remain the boss

Social networking sites have always been a way to connect with this huge and yet so tiny world. Plat...