#Technology

Massive technological innovation on an unprecedented scale is probably one of the key decisive developments of the past decades. To highlight the importance of this development, many speak of a “technological revolution”, making reference to the the industrial revolution, which abruptly changed the course of history.

Technological innovation occurs on a variety of different levels and with different purposes. Sadly enough, a lot of technological innovation is attributed to military research - high-tech weapons systems are a big market. A positive side effect of this are so called “spin-offs”, military inventions that are turned into civilian goods - implantable hearing aids, rescue drones, or the Internet are just a few examples.

But technological innovation also happens in other sectors, such as medicine, transport, communication and IT. For young people, the vast penetration of mobile phones and increased access to the Internet is certainly one of the most relevant technological developments today. An internet connection - fixed or mobile - allows anybody to access any type of information almost instantaneously and connects people from all corners of the world. Of course, this has a tremendous impact on how we communicate with each other - emails, social media platforms and video chats are the new mail, faxes and telephones.

Technological innovation can greatly contribute to the economic, social and political development of countries. Access to the Internet empowers everyone - to young people it offers increased opportunities to participate in community life and make their voices heard, be it via online tutorials, job portals or social media campaigns. Yet, in 2015 only 40% of the world population have ever connected to the Internet. It’s our duty to push for affordable Internet access for everyone and raise awareness among peers on how to become responsible digital citizens.

Researching issues connected to technology, you might want to check out these resources:

UN Conference on Trade and Development - Science and Technology for Development

International Telecommunication Union - Children and Youth

Brookings - Center for Technology Innovation

Voices of Youth - Citizens

Web Top Ten - Top 10 Tech News Sites

Girls Power in the face of Climate Change

Mitigating Climate Change starts with an idea, an inspiration that can lead to new doors opening. All it takes to make progress in the fight against this apocalyptic change is to think outside the box. We have to be bolder, more determined and able to take the initiative. Climate change is affecting...

Should schools allow students to use gadgets in the classroom?

A gadget is a small tool or electronic device which anyone can use, especially among this generation...

Kill your fears "Be confident"

When I was 15 I began to attribute being quiet and shy as a bad thing; I saw people around me and wa...

The Power of Pop: Why BTSxUnitedNations Is So Important

If you have access to the Internet and haven't been living under a rock for the past year or so, you...

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...

Life Before Electricity

It never crosses our minds when we reach for the light switch before entering a room. We are so abso...

Learn to be kind

I rest my head against my pillow. My mind is pounding with a thousand thoughts going through it constantly. ‘What do you think?’ ‘Is that fair?’ ‘But isn’t it somewhat wrong too?’ ‘What if someone bashes me for thinking this way?’ I take an exasperated sigh.I’m already a very indecisive person and s...

7 Cups: A Caring Revolution

As a psychology major currently in university, I have always been interested in mental health – its...

#life

Please, stop! For one moment. And think. What is it that makes you, YOU? Look around. Will the world...

When I grow up...

If you could be anything in the whole world, what would you chose to be? Stop, close your eyes. Take...