#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

The invisible war: The battle for refugee children’s mental health

Though their footing might be on more solid grounds, the rockiness of refugees’ journey's don’t end...

Death's Icy Hands

Death’s Icy Hands…..I am Thrown,From a place to stand,And barred,From the Holy land,Cant fight,As th...

Welcome

Hello! This is my first post for the VOY Blogging Internship. I will write on the issue of migration...

"Her": Part 2

"Yes?" she replied."I'm with your daughter, she apparently fell down while trying to get in to the t...

"Her": Part 1

Today was the 9th of September, the liberation of İzmir from the occupying forces of WW1. İzmir was...

Acceptance Is the Evil

I grew up in a household where hitting or traumatizing a child as a way to discipline them was never...

Will Humanity Survive?

On the waves of hatred,I float, without any shore,As they are communal stores,Occupied by the Green...

When there is no way out

It was an irony that I met, she walked in my life at that crucial time.They said they want the best,...

All it takes

It’s been quite some time since my last post here, and exactly as long since I’ve written something....

LIVING WITH AN INVISIBLE ILLNESS: PCOS AWARENESS

Puberty. For me, that was when things took a very wrong turn. Not that things had ever been right,...