#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

For Lips to Have modest Curve

Soul of mine does wail sometimesPondering the exuberant childhood Being deprived to a lot cradlesI want to interrogate Not just the factionBut all denizens of the world Who perpetuate the preying on ladsToday the world’s affable to meBut ain’t to those in distressAs per desire I fill my bellyBut now...

Please.

Please. It’s a simple statement, just a regular word, in such a confusing world. I ask you to please read and understand if you will. Please know that in this world full of dark things, that just around the corner is a brightness capable of filling 8 half’s of planets and countless half’s of moons....

Because, We Are Women.

They say we are different,Because some of us wear scarfs on their heads and others sport short hairc...

Seeking for a Change in Life

This is an article written by a 22 year old woman residing in Bangalore, India. She is writing this...

Playgrounds, Not Prisons

Every night, while most American students are sleeping soundly or toiling away at a homework assignment, nearly ten thousand juveniles across the country have been condemned to spend their nights behind bars in adult prisons because of automatic transfer laws, laws that allow children as young as te...

The Voiceless

Growing up in Islamabad, the capital city of Pakistan, and belonging to a well-educated family, I believe that I have led a very privileged life than most of the women of my country. However, being a woman nonetheless, much like the others, I was expected to conform to a certain set of societal norm...

Ignorance: Food For The Dogs

Just to get it down in stone: I am far from going against someone for having different political vie...

Puerto Rico (Before the Storm): What Happened to the Island That I Lov...

The following is an article I wrote August 14, 2017, as I looked over a bright sunny Boston day. Looking back, I had no idea Puerto Rico would ever be the center of a national debate. At the time I could not fathom the possibility of such a disaster as the one that has destroyed the island. Yet as r...

I am that fish.

Stress, anxiety, fear, or should I say the emotions of a modern-day high school student. When the best four years of my life will soon come to a close, a new journey will be ahead: college. As a junior I have dedicated countless hours to study and prepare for this new adventure with the hopes that m...

Being kind can change the world

Living in this generation can be hard sometimes. It's difficult to grow up in a world where all the...