#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

How social norms can kill

How many of you have been bullied?How many of you have been depressed or self-harmed?How many of you...

Poverty in the Philippines

Poverty— seven letters that affect the lives of billions of people worldwide, especially those in my...

Sexism...what?

Disclaimer: This post depicts the socio-realities of some women & men in an indo-asian society,...

E-Commerce, Technology and the Commercialisation of Culture

The promotion of youth entrepreneurship is a policy objective for many countries. The very integrate...

Political Picnic (poem)

i roll up a rug and carry it on my back for the picnic.a picnic with sandwiches of the truthin a ric...

Eyes of a Syrian

Running my fingersThrough the broken wallsThe broken windowsAndThe broken livesI look aroundThe worl...

Murder Of The Locks

She had the most luscious locksWhich she was always proud of.She had her hairlooked after by her mo...

Humanity- A dream

Let's be one!Let us make a world with no boundaries, no weapons.A world where only love overflows, p...

Rise Up and Raise Up

What if, rather than a minority, you saw a person? We have lived in a small town for most of our lives. However, despite our lack of exposure to diversity, we’ve been properly exposed to discrimination. Between the derogatory slurs amongst many teens and the stubborn mindset of the many adults, we’v...

My body is not your bed

need I remind youthat my heart is still beatingthat my brain is still workingthat I am very much liv...