#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Empowering African women through micro-finance

Empowering someone means equipping them with the right resources or tools to make an impact. Therefo...

The Power of Pop: Why BTSxUnitedNations Is So Important

If you have access to the Internet and haven't been living under a rock for the past year or so, you...

Education – the catalyst for progress

Our world has more refugees now than ever before and sadly a majority of them are children. Of great...

My Voice

At the ongoing United Nations General Assembly, the music sensation BTS gave an inspiring speech whi...

Education is a right, not a privilege

Having access to education should no longer be seen as a privilege - it should be a right for every...

Finding the greatness inherent in you

The book, 'From Darwin to Hitler' by Richard Weikart highlights the events leading up to one of the...

Why is menstruation still seen as a burden?

Ok!! Before writing this let me tell you that I belong to this globe and I am speaking as a global c...

Human Rights

Every person has a right to be protected from abuse and harm. They have the right to live with digni...

Eyes of Green

You are watched. When you look at me,The reflection of your eyes looks back.I can see your shirt and...

I strive

“I strive” I strive to find the meaning of life: Duty, prosperity, desire, enlightenment...