#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Migration vs. Tourism: PLURAL+ 2017

Name: Salil GokhaleTitle of your video: Migration vs TourismAge: 14What motivated you to create this video?I was reading in news about the issues of migrants in different parts of the world including my country. Generally, the host country is divided on the issue to receiving migrants. Although I wa...

It’s Not Me, It’s You: PLURAL+ 2017

Name: Zavia F.Title of your video: It’s Not Me, It’s You.Age: 15What 3 words describe you best? Determined, Creative, OutgoingTell us about your video – What is it about?It’s Not Me, It’s You is the expression of thoughts of a young girl (14 at the time) who is being severely impacted by the issues...

More than what you think

No matter how many times it happens, I will never get used to the abuse of women. It can never be no...

Let's make gender equality a reality!

Recently, I was scrolling the news feed on a social site and saw a post on something that was writte...

Our Ever Expanding Universe

There are 7.6 Billion people in this world. To put that in perspective, there are approximately only 30,000 Starbucks. That's right, a lot of people in the world. And everyone has some sort of goal. Some want to be doctors, other actors, some may want to be astronauts or pilots or scientists or huma...

We Are Enough - PLURAL+ 2017

Names: Karolina S., Sara G., and Michalina B.Title of your video: We Are EnoughAge: 17 years oldWhat 3 words describe you best?Open-minded, diversity, friendship.Tell us about your video – What is it about?We Are Enough is a short film about differences, social and personal problems and acceptance o...

I am Limitless - PLURAL+ 2017

Name: Lina A.Title of your video: I am LimitlessAge: 23What 3 words describe you best? Creativity, Achiever, EmpatheticTell us about your video – What is your video about?My video is about identity. What really makes us who we are? With everything going on in the world and the rhetoric in themMedia,...

Letter to the helpless children in the warzones

Hello dear children,How are you doing on this fine day? It is a fine day here but it doesn't feel like a fine day in my heart when I remember you. I am reminded that you are suffering for the actions of generations ahead of us. I wish I can make it all better for you with the words that come out of...

Women of the world: there’s nowhere to go but up!

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been told “Fatima, you can become whoever you want”. What was le...

I Don't Wanna Talk About it

I don’t want to talk about my problems. I don’t want to talk about race. I don’t want to talk about...