#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Youth Parliament

“Our youth are not failing the system; the system is failing our youth. Ironically, the very youth w...

A forgotten pledge

“Are we the most superior beast on earth? No, not in strength and not in intelligence. It is very ar...

Our slavery footprint

In 7th grade, my history teacher divided our class into small groups of three students to do a prese...

Working out my place in the world

I know who I am. It may seem like an obvious statement, but it has taken me a while to reach it. It...

Small country, big dreams

It has been more than a week since the World cup final between France and Croatia. Although we didn'...

A familiar one to the world

For some, "our world" consists of just our family and friends, but if we look around we can see ther...

To Egypt, sincerely with love

Egypt, my beloved, it has been a while since we last met.Last time I met you, you showed me the old...

Courage is no feat

“Courage is no feat” I once heard a man say. So I begged my overly critical mind to see reason with...

4 refugee youth who have dared to believe

Last year, Luma Mefleh, the daughter of a Syrian refugee, delivered a Ted Talk entitled, “Don’t Feel...

Ditching dread and befriending hope!

I’ve recently have made a new friend. Dread. The uneasy feeling has become a constant companion but...