#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Mothers for peace

Never underestimate your efforts and your courage to advance the cause you plead.I was invited to a...

I Have a Dream

For the last quarter of my last year in high school spent in Philippine Science High School - Southe...

Empowering Women: Strong(h)er Together

For the past 18 years of my existence, I've always enjoyed the privilege of being surrounded by peop...

Bonding Beyond Borders

‘Bonding Beyond Borders is a Belgian student-led campaign created to counter intolerance and discrim...

What is Freedom?

What is freedom?Is it the right to chooseand the freedom to speak? or is it the way we want to live and do most things without restrictions?Whether we are truly free still overwhelms us.Its like a puzzle which obfuscates the men and its nature is still of deceptionwhich we live every single day.We m...

Let’s talk about her...

Let’s talk about her…Let’s talk about the girl who cries herself to sleep right after assuring her f...

2018 MANDELA WASHINGTON FELLOWS FROM NIGERIA

Youths are nation builders, and Africa is blessed with great population of restless youths committed...

Media and Information Literacy: A Key to Unlock the Power of Media

“Fake it until you make it”, says an English aphorism. That is exactly how a group of teenagers from...

Why we should change the term 'feminism'

Lately, the word 'feminism' has been given a bad rep.Strangely, it isn't just certain men of the wor...

She is strong

Sitting by myself under the open sky, overwhelmed by the thoughts of you. You left me alone when I n...