#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

A Wish Come True

Little did he know what he was going to experience or receive when he left his hospital quarter that day. Little did he know that that day wasn't an ordinary one, but one in which his wish would come true. I am talking about Mark, a 6-year-old boy with a kidney dysfunction, whose wish I was honored...

A day to remember

This was a place my grandmother has repeatedly told me about. A place that I longed to go to, but ha...

Strong is the new black

Trends come and go. That blouse you bought last season is passé and you now refuse to wear it. You t...

Do you love what you have?

Imagine this. You are a helpless young child who has just crossed endless waters with your family an...

A Cow, a Lemon Tree, and a Little School

I was born into a privileged environment. Into a wealthy family, in an area of Italy where, despite...

Quality Education in Nigeria - the Way Out!

The problem of education in Nigeria at both primary, secondary and tertiary level is huge. It is mas...

Alien perspective

Where am I, why is every alien a slave, why do aliens get locked up when they misbehave, why do they preach peace yet they seek war, why is there no love anymore, everyone has their own name yet they are all the same, a number determines their level of respect, if your number is high it means you ar...

Death for Differences

Imagine having a secret that separates you from everyone else, and if you ever share this secret to...

Book Review: Sheryl Sanberg's Lean In

I recently finished this book during the leisure time; more precisely my free time during the holida...

Cal and the Stars

I was wearing a dress that day. It was dark purple, my favorite colour at that time.She was also wearing a dress. Her’s was white, a complete contrast to the dark sky above us. It was our graduation day, and we both had a long day, filled with running, standing, sitting, constant stress and miscommu...