Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Girls just want to have fun(damental rights)

"Do you cook?" My Aunt Funmi asked me."No, I'm hopelessly lost in the kitchen.""You had better learn...

The youth have spoken

7 years ago, a group of young people stood up in front of the policymakers during the Commission on...

Equality a new mission or incomplete one

Applaud a caring daughter not by saying you are my son; but by saying you are my child. Applaud a br...

The road to another Makoko

For a moment I thought I was at the popular 'Makoko' in Lagos state, Nigeria. Kids running around na...

Remember Me...

How would you want to remember me? Would it be fine if I’m remembered as the person that caused a l...

Lost Success

My mind, Joins your stride. Every early morning, You abide, The same routine. They taunt, Us...

#PressForProgress: International Women's Day 2018

The world is a sphere,Two partitions.Life's a car,Two people behind its wheel.Then why a bar,In betw...

Redeem yourselves Ambassadors

If God is with us right now, seeing what is happening to His creations, what would He be telling us?...

Redefining Masculinity: Intersectionality and the Scale of Gender Oppr...

After in depth interviews and discussions with trainers in 2001, Women for Women International (WfWI...

They Told Me to Dream Bigger

They told me to dream bigger. You can do it, they say. If you try it my way.And so I did. I tried it...