#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

Take Action, Start Now

I am an alumnus of the New York City Junior Ambassador program, a Dominican-American girl, a big sis...

The Other Side of the Coin

Since I was a little girl, I have seen how boys and girls are treated differently. This is mainly be...

Education is not something we can sacrifice

Why shouldn't we all get an education? Why can't we speak out?Why do we have to do "woman's jobs" wh...

The Power of Words

Words can heal but, sometimes, they can hurt too. In fact, the pain that words leave behind often go...

From the Refugee Camp

This is a fictionalized account inspired by recent stories reported in the news.I am Abdul Ramiz. I...

Not Just Kidding

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in...

Hand In Hand

Hand in Hand,They stand around the globe,Only figures,Of a representation,Never really followed.A la...

Women in Pakistan

"No nation can rise to the height of glory unless your women are side by side with you. We are victims of evil customs. It is a crime against humanity that our women are shut up within the four walls of our houses as prisoners." -Muhammad Ali Jinnah(1944) The stigma surrounding female empowerment...

Let Her Breathe

She was lying near the garbage. Her body was naked. She was crying and shivering with cold. Her sens...

Bully

Don't let them fuel you with rage, Don't let them take control over you, Don't give them the power to crush you, Don't allow them to be heard, Don't make them feel like their winning, Keep fighting, Come out, It's okay to be weak but never to silent, Reach out, You might be saving yourself and other...