#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

I am that fish.

Stress, anxiety, fear, or should I say the emotions of a modern-day high school student. When the best four years of my life will soon come to a close, a new journey will be ahead: college. As a junior I have dedicated countless hours to study and prepare for this new adventure with the hopes that m...

Being kind can change the world

Living in this generation can be hard sometimes. It's difficult to grow up in a world where all the...

MEMORY AND MOMENT

He was a nice guy, that's according to me.Everyone that knew him would say the same."But, who was he...

Don't mind overreacting

I want to be completely sincere and direct with this. I was thinking about saying this in my native...

They Bleed Red Blood Too...

“To empower a woman is to empower a community.”The world population has already reached 8 billion. With such high number, we still seem to fail to grow and flourish at a fast pace. Why? Now, let me ask, how can we succeed if half of us are held back? How can we advance if half of the world’s voice i...

Girls In India: Trapped In The Clutches of Tradition

India still has the highest number of child brides in the world—about 47% of girls here are married...

Faces Up - Season 2

Where do I begin from? Aaaahhhhh…I've got an idea. The entire thing of being called a season. I...

22 WAYS TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

Happy belated new year! I celebrated my 22nd birthday on January 6 and, in honour of that, here are...

Algorithm of Rape Anxiety

Many will argue it’s not a thing, rather another pity cry by the “feminist”. There will be those who...

The Lighthouse

Serenely you find yourself,Eminent and vigorous in the face of the wavesThat move on your surface.Un...