#HumanRights

Human rights are fundamental rights and freedoms to which every human being is entitled. They focus on individual, political, civil, spiritual, social, economic and cultural aspects of our lives. When human rights are respected, they allow us to develop to our fullest potential and create the foundation for peace within and among nations.

Human rights are often expressed and guaranteed by law. They lay down rights of individuals and groups, as well as obligations of Governments to act in certain ways or to refrain from certain acts, in order to promote and protect the mentioned rights.

The catalogue of human rights nowadays is very vast, reaching from rights that affect every human being, to rights that put an extra focus on vulnerable groups - such as women, children, youth, refugees, persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and the LGBT community.

Unfortunately, human rights violations occur on a daily basis around the world. This is why it’s essential that young people are well aware of and familiar with human rights. They give youth worldwide a concrete instrument to advocate for their rights on the national and international level, call attention to any kind of human rights violation and hold governments accountable.

Researching issues connected to human rights, you might want to check out these resources:

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – What are Human Rights

Amnesty International – Human Rights by Topic

Human Rights Watch – Human Rights by Regions

United Nations – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights – Core International Human Rights Treaties

The hope within

I have been waiting to write this. It took me so long to find the words. I’m still not sure I have t...

Towards An Empathetic World

“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main…”...

Creativity is success

It's about the balmy day with scorching sun rays. I was on my way to my destination and deep in thou...

Why Law?

Everyone is different from each other and, in fact, we all are created uniquely which means human be...

Humanity

It's not important to be a teacher, an engineer or a doctor or whatever you want.It's important to b...

Youth apathy: No longer a luxury but a hindrance

Late teenage-hood is a weird time. You’re not young enough to blame your shortcomings on youthful im...

Youth empowerment

I dedicate this article to the youth of present day! I know its difficult, burdensome and demanding,...

Finding my oasis in the desert of life

Finding myself in Life's WildernessI try to look for a starting pointBut I find noneI keep walking o...

Girl power

Hi, my name is Iskara Hadijah Aqila Nasywa Rastramata Athorhab. Woah, maybe that is one of the longe...

Is fighting for change worth it?

Why are you here?If you're reading this, I will safely assume that you are here for a reason along t...