#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

To All Those Suffering in Silence

To all the people that have been suffering but never reached out, take a deep breath. I know it has...

Where are you, humanity?

Yemen, 25 August: an airstrike killed 14 civilians in Faj Attan, a residential neighborhood in the c...

The Place of Grassroot Awareness in Maternal and Child Health Support

Investing in women and children is of great necessity in Nigeria in particular and Africa in general...

Response to: Letter from a broke student

Angelica, I really found your post very interesting. First of all, let me tell you that I am a Chile...

Collywobbles

I was on my way back from a phone company since I have lost my Sim card and I hoped, I could get it...

Youth vs. Age

Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art. (Stanislaw Jerzy)During life’s paths we ofte...

Beyond the Rainbow: A Youth's Perspective on HIV-AIDS

The thought of it is like a specter in the night that haunts, an incubus in the healthcare world, a tattoo that everyone dreads with a social stigma that must be stopped. A global pandemic of greatest proportions, HIV-AIDS continues to be a nightmare, claiming millions of lives worldwide. A great nu...

Barrio Healthcare

A pregnant woman in labor had to travel an hour or so beyond mountainous cliffs and rebel ridden forest to the nearest birthing clinic; Understaffed nurses working beyond shifts to administer the hour’s dose of antibiotic; the resident doctor on the corner attending to the stack full of patients’ ch...

Water issues are affecting Barika community in Nigeria

Life without water! How is this possible?If life cannot be sustained without water, how then can we...

The Unfortunate Reality: Orphaned Children

Imagine a little boy. A boy with bright glowing eyes, and a warm pleasant smile. A boy with nice dar...