#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

Life without limits

By Maximina Jokonya, youth leader from Zimbabwe When I was younger, I was always sick. By the time...

Single moms

I am the daughter of a single mom. Single parenting is constantly increasing at the rate of 15 mill...

Yes, I have a black dog

Imagine you are seeing a psychiatrist because you have no idea what's happening to you.Imagine you have just been diagnosed with a mental disorder.Imagine you are self harming.I have a good life. Whether or not my life is good might be subjective; but let's just stick with that I have a good one. My...

Girls can't be brides

Honduras. At the age of 12, like many other girls, I spent my time playing with my friends from s...

Mental illness and employment

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is an organization that provides services and advoca...

She knows she can...

She reached out her small hand, Trying to fit in every star in the sky. But they told her that she...

Gene editing has become real

Usually, posts on here don’t talk about science, I know. At least not about natural sciences. (I’m n...

Age of apathy

As I type these words, there is a child writhing in the dirt from hunger pains being looked upon helplessly by his or her mother, who's heart aches more than her empty stomach, as she is unable to help her distressed child, or children. As I sit here, not only comforted by the warmth of my physical...

The beauty of the environment and the evils of society

A cloud is above us.No, this isn’t the life giving wonder we have all come to love. This is a new cl...

When doctors become detectives

The difficulties communicating with foreign patients There is a short moment of total silence and we...