The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

The youth have spoken

7 years ago, a group of young people stood up in front of the policymakers during the Commission on...

Remember Me...

How would you want to remember me? Would it be fine if I’m remembered as the person that caused a l...

Lost Success

My mind, Joins your stride. Every early morning, You abide, The same routine. They taunt, Us...

What Is Success?

Yesterday I was in a pensive mood. I asked myself- what Is success? I just looked back at the things that changed me into a better human, that built me, promoted me, encouraged me. I thought about how success is not only about being a "book worm". Success in not only in books. Success relies in you...

You Count

More often than not, we believe that we are too small to bring about change or that what we do does...

Soulfully, A Butterfly

We are in the age of beauty,In the age of fitness,And all things "mighty".But what's mighty,If we bu...

Chicken love ....

For some weeks now, I’ve closely observed the brown birds at home. For I have been very fascinated...

The Power of "Sorry"

If your soul is awakening, You will know that you were wrong that time.Recall where you were wrong.Say sorry and don't do it again.And if doesn't work, try twice.And if still does not, try three times.Keep on trying.Because anything is better than ignorance or regret.Try, try and keep on trying.Try...

Can we talk about it?

The sadnessyeahhh... Can we talk about it? Even with all that’s happening now and inside our self?...

It's been a year A.L.R.E.A.D.Y

It’s been a year since you were last seen at school. It’s been a year since you were last hosted on...