#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

It'll Be Okay

Sometimes I lay in bed and stare at the ceiling,To figure out exactly what I’m feeling.I hate going to funerals not knowing what to do.I don’t know whether to cry and scream too.So I just stand there looking at the open casket,Feeling like an empty basket.My mom tells me it’s okay to cry,But somehow...

Why I want to become a nutritionist!

My name is Olga, I’m 15 years old and I am President of the Kasaï Oriental young reporters. For Worl...

An Open Letter to Myself

Dear self,How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. I know life has been tough but you have done quite a good job to stay alive. Thank you for not giving up.Life is not a straight line, it goes up and down. If you are sometimes happy or sometimes sad, be glad because this is life. If you don’t w...

The art of giving hope.

We all hope for a better day. We hope to live to see our future and the future of our children. We h...

Making The World A Better Place For The Transgender Community

In Cambodia, as well as around the world, the topic of transgender rights is not always included in conversations. There is a lack of representation and basic understanding of transgender people, and undeniably, there is also a lot of discrimination towards people in this group.In the United States,...

Climate Change: Individual Steps To Mitigate The Impact

Every step matters when it comes to climate change. The details of our daily behaviors are the key t...

Be Strong, Stay Strong

A few years back I used to wonder why people commit suicide, why someone would want to end their own...

More than what you think

No matter how many times it happens, I will never get used to the abuse of women. It can never be no...

#DreamInColors

It has been our family tradition to join the run-for-a-cause event of the United Nations Children’s...

Letter to the helpless children in the warzones

Hello dear children,How are you doing on this fine day? It is a fine day here but it doesn't feel like a fine day in my heart when I remember you. I am reminded that you are suffering for the actions of generations ahead of us. I wish I can make it all better for you with the words that come out of...