#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

THE OUTSTANDING INFLUENCES OF MOTHER AFRICA

On Africa’s land, our dreams are visualizedOn Africa’s land, our lives are definedOn Africa’s land, our strengths are replenishedOn Africa’s land, our tongues are loosenedOn Africa’s land, our homes are developedOn Africa’s land, our people are empoweredOn Africa’s land, our resources are discovered...

A day to remember

This was a place my grandmother has repeatedly told me about. A place that I longed to go to, but ha...

Educating climate change in SE Asia

In light of the shift from traditional coal economy, Southeast Asia spurs a fine lead in using renew...

Imposter Syndrome

Do you ever feel like someone might find out you don't qualify to be where you are? Or someone will soon know you are fraud. If yes, you too are one of those 70% people who suffer from Impostor Syndrome.I first came across the phrase in an article in 2015, but psychological research has picked up on...

RIP Bradley Lowery

The smile,That lit up,The world as a stadium.Can never be missed,But only remembered.Your fight,Whic...

Unconventional Bodies

The first time I felt disgusted by myself, I was thirteen. Fresh-faced, blossoming, yet somehow made...

Strong

Life is hard.That might just sound like a cliché, until you are left with no other option but being...

Bullying- a denied reality?

“It doesn’t actually happen. It’s just a thing people do when they’re close to you. It’s a way of showing they like you. Just forget about it. Really… You shouldn’t take it to heart, you’re just very sensitive. I mean… it’s not your fault, my dear.”“But it’s not really bullying at all.”They all say...

Dear Future Leaders

This piece belongs to a three-part series written by Kelepi Baba, Monica Angulo and Leah DavidsonDea...

The children, the future

I have worked for a kindergarten as an English teacher since this June. On some first days, I was so...