#Health

The World Health Organization defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.

Main health issues affecting young people today are linked either to behavior or an unprotected environment. They include, among others, injuries from accidents, health problems due to tobacco and substance abuse, lacking physical exercise, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases, Malaria and Ebola. Additionally, mental health is increasingly gaining recognition as a major problem affecting youth globally - suicide and depression are alarmingly common among youth in both urban and rural environments.

Young people often encounter barriers in accessing health services. Many health facilities don’t offer confidential and youth-friendly services where young people feel comfortable seeking care. Additionally, many young people don’t have the financial means to seek care on their own, and restrictive laws and policies in many countries require a parent’s written permission to access services.

Too many young people aren't aware of specific health risks or how and where they can access appropriate health services and information. This situation calls for intensified efforts to increase awareness among youth!

Researching issues connected to health, you might want to check out these resources:

World Health Organization - Adolescent Health

United Nations Population Fund - Young People

Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS - Goals on HIV/AIDS

TeensHealth - Teens

The Little Bird's Funeral

Right across the faces of me and you,There was a little bird that always flew.The bird was strong, s...

Good Health and Well-being

1 in 4 Americans refuses medical care due to a lack of funds (according to a 2017 article in the New York Post). Many people have a difficult time receiving proper and reliable healthcare due to large expenses. We, as a dedicated group from Cañon City High School in Colorado, decided our way of help...

Can we close the gap?

How we can start communicating Science effectively… We all know that scientific discoveries and the...

2018 MANDELA WASHINGTON FELLOWS FROM NIGERIA

Youths are nation builders, and Africa is blessed with great population of restless youths committed...

She is strong

Sitting by myself under the open sky, overwhelmed by the thoughts of you. You left me alone when I n...

We Won't Let You Silence Her

You kidnapped her, you sedated her, you raped her,You murdered her But don’t worry we won’t let you...

How To Spot Toxic People In Your Life

Toxicity! Unfortunately, it is not only found in your food. Surprisingly, it can also be in people....

Nomophobia: A silent addiction

In the 70´s, personal phones were nearly non-existent, there was only 1 phone for the whole family...

Think because you can!

Think because you can! Thinking is what makes us a better person. Think of your weaknesses and how y...

The Beauty of Silence

Do you ever just sit still and listen? Listen to the sounds of cars whizzing down the street, or bir...