#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Have we ceased to be welcoming to migrants and refugees?

I’m Italian and in the past few months I’ve been rather proud of the way my country was welcoming re...

Undocumented Immigrant Women: The Walls between Abuse, the Law and the...

One of the most critical issues within the field of Migration Studies today remains the delicate sta...

Debate with the world

Slaves of the world's confines, isolated in our own minds, what is yours? what is mine? are we in control of our own time? an action does not define yet we divide humans into different lines, peace? we decline, war seems divine, kill our own race and celebrate with wine, we want it all, every dollar...

Food Waste: A Call For Change

By 2027, we are expected to suffer from a 217 trillion calories worth of food deficiency. However, a...

The Light Amongst The Darkness

“First: Examine our attitude towards peace itself. Too many of us think it is impossible. Too many t...

LGBT vs India

Being LGBT - what does this mean? Sometimes it means losing your loved ones. Becoming a joke in the...

Inspiration from Diversity- Herrsching Works!

“Imagine a world where everyone looked the same, spoke the same, ate the same and had one single bel...

A rehabilitation center for me

My name is Mary and I am 14 years old. After joining a militia in the Kasai region, in the Democrati...

Humans are not property; Humans are not for sale

Each and every one of us aspires to live a life full of happiness, independence, and financial stability. We all dream of a better life for ourselves and our families; and this dream transcends across the board, regardless of which gender, ethnicity, religion or nationality you belong to.Some of us...

The Other Side of the Coin

Since I was a little girl, I have seen how boys and girls are treated differently. This is mainly be...