#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

All is one, one is all

I would like to share the message, to all humans worldwide, that balancing your life is the backbone...

A Letter to the world on the International Day of Youth

Dear World, This is a letter from a young Moroccan girl who writes to you on the INTERNATIONAL DAY...

Safe spaces for youth: An International Youth Day 2018 statement

“Enjoy your youth, you’ll never be younger than you are at this very moment”Let us start this discus...

Being secure = Being free

One of the biggest needs for young people is to have a safe space where they can gather around, inte...

Rejection

Being rejected is an every day part of our lives and it can suck. The reason rejection sucks is that...

Keep your head high

It’s easy to feel helpless.Like you can’t change the world around you.Like there is an unstoppable e...

Youth Parliament

“Our youth are not failing the system; the system is failing our youth. Ironically, the very youth w...

Welcome don't deport immigrants

As a student living in a diverse country built on principles of freedom and equal opportunity, I hav...

A forgotten pledge

“Are we the most superior beast on earth? No, not in strength and not in intelligence. It is very ar...

Politics - Let' s talk

I believe that many kids hear the word "politics" or something that has to do with the political sph...