#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

I am that fish.

Stress, anxiety, fear, or should I say the emotions of a modern-day high school student. When the best four years of my life will soon come to a close, a new journey will be ahead: college. As a junior I have dedicated countless hours to study and prepare for this new adventure with the hopes that m...

22 WAYS TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

Happy belated new year! I celebrated my 22nd birthday on January 6 and, in honour of that, here are...

Why Dreadful Viral Diseases are Now Upon Us

Beautiful, patterned white lines and detailed symbols traced the walls of the room. Inside there, in...

The clarion call, our unity call

The National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) is an organization created by the Nigerian government in 1973...

Life in Slow Motion: Poverty and Education

We all start out pretty much the same, screaming and crying in awe as we exit the womb. Unfortunatel...

2017: The Year of Questions

Is this the beginning of the end? How is this happening in my own country? Am I safe? Why do we yell...

The Economic Option

Why do societies choose to be ruled by monarchs or oligarchs, even in the 21th century? Why the poli...

We'll all go empty hands!!

We are born with empty hands; we die with empty hands… So then why do we pile those paper notes up?Corruption is a serious problem and a concern for any country in this present world.. Let’s pledge to fight it. Take a look at my new creation.Money runs before usor We before it run,Loss of faith, los...

This Christmas We Want Protection

Dear Government,For Christmas this year we all want one thing.We want our voices to be heard.We want our ideas to be used.We want the rights that we were promised.So please,This Christmas,Let us have our rights.

Advice against moral apathy

1. Stand. Enter the dynamics of the world and be daring. Wear your beliefs and speak your mind. Never allow yourself to acquiesce in any injustice or to abide being a bystander to someone else’s injustice.2. Recognize that the world is not ruled by the scale carrying, blind-folded goddess depicted i...