#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Youth apathy: No longer a luxury but a hindrance

Late teenage-hood is a weird time. You’re not young enough to blame your shortcomings on youthful im...

The cycle of poverty

Hello everyone! I am glad to write my thoughts down on this page.This is my first post, and I will w...

About being fair.

We are all human and humans will always make mistakes. Even when you are in a very high position. Ev...

Football - a game of unity, not politics

Let’s talk about football. This game is very simple at first glance. All you need is a ball. Footbal...

Health Literacy - Taking Health into our own hands

While there is an increasing number of Health Gadgets (e.g. sports watches) available and the Intern...

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...

Section 377 no more

Today I spot the brightest rainbow and a smiling sun in the grey skies. Today India restores humanit...

Refugees

Since a long time ago I had been very curious about the “Refugees” issue and had planned an article...

7 Cups: A Caring Revolution

As a psychology major currently in university, I have always been interested in mental health – its...

Politics can do better than this

I am so disappointed. Maybe like many of you, if not all of you, doesn't it make you scratch your he...