#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

Spectacle of education

They say children are the leaders of tomorrow, but how can we lead tomorrow if we have a narrow visi...

Poverty in the Philippines

Poverty— seven letters that affect the lives of billions of people worldwide, especially those in my...

Happiness is also...

Be happy.Be happy.Be happy.This sentence is not only repeated day after day by the voices in our hea...

A passionate Call to Action from global youth

The world of political decision-making often come across as elitist and excluding; trying to enter t...

2018 MANDELA WASHINGTON FELLOWS FROM NIGERIA

Youths are nation builders, and Africa is blessed with great population of restless youths committed...

Media and Information Literacy: A Key to Unlock the Power of Media

“Fake it until you make it”, says an English aphorism. That is exactly how a group of teenagers from...

Open letter to the leaders of our world

Dear Leaders, Presidents, Prime Ministers, Kings and Queens of this Earth It is time to speak up, we...

Time to have a say: Youth Speak Forum in Buenos Aires

Have you ever dreamed of changing the world but then you dismissed your aspirations because you thou...

A letter to the international community on Syria

Excellencies, Presidents, Leaders,When, in the early morning, in a mist of cloudy weather, you enter...

A Wingless Dream

Love gives you wings, They sing. But if its two souls intertwined, That you define. The flight,...