#Governance

Governance can be a clunky word - what does it mean exactly? It’s basically a term that refers to all processes linked to governing. As our globe is divided into multiple nation states - which then are split up into countless federal states and municipalities - governance affects each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

National and local governments are responsible for the wellbeing of their citizens and supposed to build vital infrastructure, make education accessible for all, set up health care facilities, maintain a functioning legal system and protect civilians. All too often unfortunately, some or all of these responsibilities aren’t met by governments, due to a lack of resources, corruption or discriminating policies.

In democracies, national and local politics focus on winning over voters so that political parties can move into government and (successfully or unsuccessfully) serve its citizens. In non-democratic countries, governments aren’t elected by the people but imposed - this often leads to a situation where some parts of the population are neglected.

In any type of government, it’s crucial that young people have platforms where they can voice their opinions and participate in shaping, implementing and evaluating government policies. In most countries however, youth participation is still underdeveloped. Young people have to keep holding their governments accountable and advocate for more mechanisms that allow meaningful and sustainable youth engagement!

Researching issues connected to governance, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Population Fund - Youth Participation and Leadership

United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund - Child and Youth Participation

World Assembly of Youth - Assembly of National Youth Councils

Transparency International - Coalition Against Corruption

A Cow, a Lemon Tree, and a Little School

I was born into a privileged environment. Into a wealthy family, in an area of Italy where, despite...

Dear Future Leaders

This piece belongs to a three-part series written by Kelepi Baba, Monica Angulo and Leah DavidsonThe...

Missing Home

It wasn’t like I didn’t know it would happen, but rather, that it would happen sooner than later. T...

Is there future in economics?

It is quite a commonplace when I meet new people and I tell them that I study economics that I am asked the same question, “What do you think about the future of Greek economy”? Most of the times I laugh ironically because I don’t have a precise answer prepared every time, but once I think about it...

Concordia Cobbers and The 2017 NAFSA Advocacy Day

In the morning as we waited in Senator Amy Klobuchar’s office with the files of the different issues...

Next Generation Politics: Interview with Ryan Adell

I am currently a member of Next Generation Politics, a non-profit, and non-partisan organization tha...

We are at War!

Our civilization is built upon the basic principles of humanity. Compassion teaches us to share, Equ...

Asian Youths Commitment on SDGs: AUYA Reflection

Over 300 youths from more than 20 countries representing diverse NGO and youth-led organisations in the first discussions of the youth contribution towards follow-up and review of New Urban Agenda (NUA) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the Asia level, Asia Urban Youth Assembly 2017 (...

A,B,C with Nature

Many people might be wondering what kind of title to a blog is this. But yes, you read it right, it...

Earth and its guests

“Earth, we beg for clemency. Be kind to your guests, appease your mighty forces.”“There will be no q...