#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

A Clouded World

We have a HUGE problem, dear readers.And I did write HUGE in capital letters for good reason. We are...

Problems in Society

Yesterday my class and I were given the assignment to write a text about a problem or problems in society we’d like to solve or make a difference and why and how we’d like to do so.The hardest part was to pick a topic amongst all the problems in society. But I’ve minimised my interests to two quite...

Anguished Cries

Till last she was hookedAt the end his look was crookedHe laughed hearing their criesTheir hopes mel...

It Matters, After All

I, as a sophomore in high school, was selected to be a leader of a reading community which is called...

Contemplations of a World on the Brink

It seems recently all that has absorbed the news have been stories of how close our world is to endi...

Collywobbles

I was on my way back from a phone company since I have lost my Sim card and I hoped, I could get it...

Should you fight for peace?

"There is no way to peace; peace is the way." - MAHATMA GANDHIPeace is a term that most commonly ref...

Water issues are affecting Barika community in Nigeria

Life without water! How is this possible?If life cannot be sustained without water, how then can we...

Making the Nigerian Graduates Useful

‘Good afternoon, “corpers”. How are you?’ ‘We’re fine and you?’ ‘I’m okay. Where is your PPA?’ ‘We’re serving at Igbo-odo’. ‘Are you guys in the same place as Seun?’ Seun was the only lady among us whom we were waiting for at the riverbank. ‘Yeah, how do you know her?’ I replied. ‘I d...

Cravings

I won't restrict this word around the circle a dictionary seated on a nightstand to offer it a sacrificial meaning. A dialy ritual of our thoughts is our cravings. A desire to be something. An achievement that would leave an imprint of a career well explored and executed. The need to step up away fr...