#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

When you think you're all alone!

When you think you've no one with you,Just remember you're not on Mars.You're in this planet Earth where life exists even in the tiniest things.Where you're surrounded by the unending soil covered with lush green grass and the giant trees, who breathe with you.Where the flowers bloom in vibrant shad...

A passionate Call to Action from global youth

The world of political decision-making often come across as elitist and excluding; trying to enter t...

The formation of a world saver

Hi there,Below are my thoughts on a video by the United Nations about plastic pollution in our ocean...

The Little Bird's Funeral

Right across the faces of me and you,There was a little bird that always flew.The bird was strong, s...

Think Globally, Act Locally; Goal 12

Note: This January, we were tasked as a class to pick a UN Sustainable Goal, in order to Think Globally and Act Locally. We chose Sustainable goal #12, Sustainable Consumption and Production. These are our reflections.The last drop of waterSlowly swishing side to sideAs the truck empties the waste F...

Animal rights are important too

It was a sultry summer evening. I was walking alone on the road, lost in my domain of thoughts. Exam...

Realising the Gift of Nature

While each of us have been living under different roofs (both artificial and man-made), we have ofte...

Is exploring Mars worth the investment?

We choose to colonize Mars. Why? Because we have a fear of that our planet Earth will become uninhab...

What is Freedom?

What is freedom?Is it the right to chooseand the freedom to speak? or is it the way we want to live and do most things without restrictions?Whether we are truly free still overwhelms us.Its like a puzzle which obfuscates the men and its nature is still of deceptionwhich we live every single day.We m...

2018 MANDELA WASHINGTON FELLOWS FROM NIGERIA

Youths are nation builders, and Africa is blessed with great population of restless youths committed...