#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Unstoppable energy

What a miracle!the earth, the sun and us.Do you know what I am talking?That sensation when you smell...

That Fight For Peace

In The History Of Hindu Mythology, Ravana, The Demon King Was Killed By Unity Which Symbolized That...

Dear Youth, Act Now, Not Tomorrow

Dear youth, act now, not tomorrow.The global population of youth, as of October 2016, stands at 1.8B...

Climate Change

Global Warming. We know it’s happening, but we seem to neglect it. The chlorofluorocarbons in the sm...

E-Waste and How We Can Make A Change

An increasingly relevant issue in a society obsessed with sleek technologies is the fate of our elec...

Is This Really What I Want?

Don’t you think it’s funny,That you wouldn't cut a tree,But still write on paper,And use a wooden desk.Don’t you think it’s funny,That you hate fossil fuel energy,But forget to turn off the lights,And leave your computer on while you sleep.Is it not so funny,That you’d never want to waste water,But...

Food Waste: A Call For Change

By 2027, we are expected to suffer from a 217 trillion calories worth of food deficiency. However, a...

The Light Amongst The Darkness

“First: Examine our attitude towards peace itself. Too many of us think it is impossible. Too many t...

Let's Make A Difference Together!

For kids, combating climate change means raising our voices for a more sustainable future. No matter how little we are, or how many barriers we face, we can all make a difference if we try hard enough.For me, it was difficult to get past dyslexia. But now, I have 4 books published in six languages...

UNICEF is calling on you to save the planet...

Let’s prove to the world that young people are key to combating climate change.How?It’s easy - all y...