#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...

...As the days roll by

AS THE DAYS ROLL BY, I bow my head in shame and look up to the sky to feel a reassurance within my s...

Refugees

Since a long time ago I had been very curious about the “Refugees” issue and had planned an article...

7 Cups: A Caring Revolution

As a psychology major currently in university, I have always been interested in mental health – its...

The ultimate rejection letter

Four years ago, I applied for a scholarship to go off to study abroad during high-school. The schola...

The man who planted 600+ trees

In the heart of Mashonaland Central Province in Zimbabwe, 15 km from Bindura town lies Chiveso villa...

...Finding your true self

For years, I lived under a false facade until I lost my true nature. I created a perfect picture for...

Kerala

When I woke up, my foot was touching chilly water. How did this water come to my house? Suddenly I o...

All is one, one is all

I would like to share the message, to all humans worldwide, that balancing your life is the backbone...

Treacherous beauty

As I look out the window of the local coffee shop, the rain began. It began drop by drop, then all a...