#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Trying to understand death, one letter at a time.

Dear Cody,I watched this movie for the second time earlier: Before Sunrise. In the movie there was a...

Carry On My Dear, Carry On.

I CROSSED THE HORIZON DISTANCE APART,I WAITED FOR THAWING OF ICE ON MY PATH,THE WHISPER IN MY EAR- C...

Who do you choose to be today?

I think I am quite a unique person. With unique views. With unique ideas. But every now and then I read a quote, watch a video or have a conversation which makes me doubt myself. Who am I?You see, I think of myself as a combination of my experiences, of the dialogues I lead and things I saw, and my...

LITTLE RED ROSE.

Oh dear little rose,you are so cherished!YOU HAVE COLOR,of love, dreams, passion, and fire.YOU HAVE...

Youth Faces of the world

When I joined VOY years ago, I was 17, and still in High School. I had a very regular life: I used t...

How war changed me

2011I was 11-years-old when the war started in my country, Syria. I was too young to understand what...

Remember Me...

How would you want to remember me? Would it be fine if I’m remembered as the person that caused a l...

Lost Success

My mind, Joins your stride. Every early morning, You abide, The same routine. They taunt, Us...

#PressForProgress: International Women's Day 2018

The world is a sphere,Two partitions.Life's a car,Two people behind its wheel.Then why a bar,In betw...

Redeem yourselves Ambassadors

If God is with us right now, seeing what is happening to His creations, what would He be telling us?...