#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

The art of giving hope.

We all hope for a better day. We hope to live to see our future and the future of our children. We h...

A new “Warning to Humanity” - 15,000 scientists urge us to act against...

In 1992, the Union of Concerned Scientists gave humanity a bleak warning message regarding the futur...

Our Story: Cycling 10000km Across Europe to Save Our Planet

Hello! We are Inka and Fabian, two 19 year olds cycling across Europe to promote low carbon travel a...

Climate Change: Individual Steps To Mitigate The Impact

Every step matters when it comes to climate change. The details of our daily behaviors are the key t...

The Paradox of Global Food Wastage (What can be done about it)

World hunger is on the rise again: 815 million people went hungry in 2016, according to a recent United Nations Report on Food Security and Nutrition. This amounts to 11 percent of the global population, a glaring rise of about 38 million people since 2015 (WFP2017). More than 90 percent of the worl...

Letter to the helpless children in the warzones

Hello dear children,How are you doing on this fine day? It is a fine day here but it doesn't feel like a fine day in my heart when I remember you. I am reminded that you are suffering for the actions of generations ahead of us. I wish I can make it all better for you with the words that come out of...

Crystalline

From edge so sharp and fineThat it condenses and solidifies That art and craft by someone so farAnd...

It takes all of us to make this work

I am a member of the environmental awareness club at my school and I am also part of the committee t...

7 amazing ways to get young people interested in agriculture

Agriculture is one of the ways to fight against hunger and poverty in Africa and the world, so young...

United for the world

War. Terror. Crisis. Fear. Not really the description you’d expect of our world today, but sadly it’s true, these words depict the situation in the world perfectly: states in conflict with each other, attacks on humanity, hunger and health crisis, refugees on the run – a world dominated by fear, ins...