#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

THE OUTSTANDING INFLUENCES OF MOTHER AFRICA

On Africa’s land, our dreams are visualizedOn Africa’s land, our lives are definedOn Africa’s land, our strengths are replenishedOn Africa’s land, our tongues are loosenedOn Africa’s land, our homes are developedOn Africa’s land, our people are empoweredOn Africa’s land, our resources are discovered...

Educating climate change in SE Asia

In light of the shift from traditional coal economy, Southeast Asia spurs a fine lead in using renew...

Alien perspective

Where am I, why is every alien a slave, why do aliens get locked up when they misbehave, why do they preach peace yet they seek war, why is there no love anymore, everyone has their own name yet they are all the same, a number determines their level of respect, if your number is high it means you ar...

Home

I have always considered this beautiful Earth a gift we were given, an explosion of art and colours,...

The Massive Clean up Campaign

Recently, over a 700 Citizens from many parts of Zimbabwe converged at Lake Chivero (Kuimba Shiri), in Norton, Zimbabwe over a space of 4 days to remove tones of abandoned nets, plastics bottles amongst other forms of litter polluting our beloved Lake. In recent years it is the lowest the Lake has b...

Dear Future Leaders

This piece belongs to a three-part series written by Kelepi Baba, Monica Angulo and Leah DavidsonDea...

What am I giving back to the future?

What am I giving back to the future?Elephants with no tusks, foxes shorn of fur,Smoke that chokes, t...

Capturing This Amazing World

Amazing... My favorite word.Why?Because "Amazing" is directly associated with something new and that...

Reflection: The 3 P's

On the 27th February, I received one of the best emails I have ever received. I had been selected to...

A Tale

"It isn't the place it used to be,it was a lot better."Said Grandma as she told her talesOf the plac...