#Environment

The earth provides all the necessary resources for human beings to survive and prosper. But as the global population grows and develops, the demand for energy and consumer goods increases. This has led to increased pollution and misuse of natural resources, causing great damage to the environment. In turn, people’s health, food supplies and livelihoods are increasingly threatened.

Be it the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that contribute to climate change, the overuse of agricultural soil that deteriorates the ground and often leads to deforestation, the contamination of water through bacteria and chemicals or the loss of biodiversity - environmental challenges are plentiful.

Today, many people speak about “sustainability” when highlighting an alternative model of how human beings can develop economically and socially without putting too much strain on the environment. Sustainable development is defined as “development that meets the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”

This clearly shows that youth are at the heart of the sustainability debate. As politicians sometimes lack the necessary long-term thinking that is needed to effectively address pressing environmental issues, it’s key that global youth have a say in environmental policies, which have a direct impact on the current and future environment they live in.

Researching issues connected to the environment, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Environment Programme - Tunza

United Nations - Sustainable Development

YOUNGO - Youth and Climate

Connect 4 Climate - Connecting to Tackle Climate Change

Web Ecoist - 25 Environmental Organizations

Safe spaces for youth: An International Youth Day 2018 statement

“Enjoy your youth, you’ll never be younger than you are at this very moment”Let us start this discus...

We met again!

Five months have passed since the anniversary of the Syrian war, a war that has forced us to do thin...

Youth Parliament

“Our youth are not failing the system; the system is failing our youth. Ironically, the very youth w...

To Egypt, sincerely with love

Egypt, my beloved, it has been a while since we last met.Last time I met you, you showed me the old...

Save the planet, save children!

I just came back from the USA after completing a year as a Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (Y...

The beauty of the environment and the evils of society

A cloud is above us.No, this isn’t the life giving wonder we have all come to love. This is a new cl...

Nature...in silence

You have been standing high Since the time I was falling in love; You had been standing tall When I...

Join the youth crew

It’s still alive. The feeling of belonging to something bigger than us is still there. What am I tal...

Poverty

My hope is to see a world eradicated of poverty. People in poverty often cannot choose the situation...

Save it now

Are you uncomfortable with what's going on in our world and frustrated on what the right actions to...