Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

The road to another Makoko

For a moment I thought I was at the popular 'Makoko' in Lagos state, Nigeria. Kids running around na...

Lost Success

My mind, Joins your stride. Every early morning, You abide, The same routine. They taunt, Us...

#PressForProgress: International Women's Day 2018

The world is a sphere,Two partitions.Life's a car,Two people behind its wheel.Then why a bar,In betw...

Redefining Masculinity: Intersectionality and the Scale of Gender Oppr...

After in depth interviews and discussions with trainers in 2001, Women for Women International (WfWI...

They Told Me to Dream Bigger

They told me to dream bigger. You can do it, they say. If you try it my way.And so I did. I tried it...

Soulfully, A Butterfly

We are in the age of beauty,In the age of fitness,And all things "mighty".But what's mighty,If we bu...

The Power of "Sorry"

If your soul is awakening, You will know that you were wrong that time.Recall where you were wrong.Say sorry and don't do it again.And if doesn't work, try twice.And if still does not, try three times.Keep on trying.Because anything is better than ignorance or regret.Try, try and keep on trying.Try...

Tech Empowerment: A Tool To Balance The Gender Issue In The Syrian Com...

Gender equality stands at the root of all 17 of the Sustainable Development Goals. Equal education,...

Ignore The News: We’re Not The Worst Generation

A headline caught my eye recently. “UK millennials second worst-hit financially in developed world,...

Where does your interest lie?

In this matter, In what you do, In whom you are, In what you are becoming. Where does your int...