#Employment

Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

I am that fish.

Stress, anxiety, fear, or should I say the emotions of a modern-day high school student. When the best four years of my life will soon come to a close, a new journey will be ahead: college. As a junior I have dedicated countless hours to study and prepare for this new adventure with the hopes that m...

“TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT YOURSELF”

This is one of the infamous questions which you have or will come across in almost every job interview. And this also happens to be the very question that most people struggle to figure out, especially how to begin their response. In this post I have shared some tips to help people answer this parti...

22 WAYS TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE

Happy belated new year! I celebrated my 22nd birthday on January 6 and, in honour of that, here are...

Algorithm of Rape Anxiety

Many will argue it’s not a thing, rather another pity cry by the “feminist”. There will be those who...

The Lighthouse

Serenely you find yourself,Eminent and vigorous in the face of the wavesThat move on your surface.Un...

Life in Slow Motion: Poverty and Education

We all start out pretty much the same, screaming and crying in awe as we exit the womb. Unfortunatel...

The digital economy: Advancing the opportunities for youth in Jamaica

This article was written by Devonnie Garvey, 19, Ocho Rios, JamaicaThe digital economy is an economy...

Online, my wheelchair is invisible

This article was written by Ivan Bakaidov, 18, Saint-Petersburg, Russian FederationNowadays digital...

Youth Responsibility and Possible Solutions for Refugee Resettlement

Do you think not having money is the biggest problem? Yes, then you might have not heard the term called 'Refugee'.Have you ever thought of, "What does it mean to be a refugee?"Watch this video and just for a moment think about you would do in the same situation?What will you do? Where? Why? How?If...

Conflict resolution

Many scenes of violence have troubled our daily lives during the past period. But what shocked us the most, are recorded videos of some students beating their teachers in the classroom.It takes guts to do such violent act.Without any doubt, people started pointing their fingers at them: They are gui...