#Employment

Employment is the foundation of our economies - without work, societies would not be able to prosper and develop. Some jobs are as ancient as the history of mankind, for example, agricultural work, whereas other jobs are emerging by the day with technological development, such as jobs in the IT sector.

Depending on the profession and geographic location, work can look very differently. The formal economy encompasses jobs where workers have formal contracts with employers, have fixed working hours and receive a defined salary and social benefits - usually, this is referred to as decent work. The informal economy encompasses work that isn’t monitored by any form of government and therefore, people often have to work under precarious and undecent working conditions.

Youth employment encompasses all elements that are connected to creating decent work for young people around the world, such as education, training, apprenticeships, internships, job creation etc. Unfortunately, since the economic crisis in 2008, experts talk about a “global youth employment crisis” - youth unemployment and underemployment are skyrocketing, there is a stark mismatch between skills that are demanded on the labor markets and skills that young people acquire in education, and too many young people work in the informal sector under precarious conditions.

What’s the solution to the crisis? Certainly, a joint response by all actors is needed - governments, social partners (workers and employers) and young people need to intensively collaborate in creating and promoting decent work for youth. At the same time, young people will have to increasingly create their own jobs by looking for entrepreneurial opportunities and becoming leaders in economic and social innovation.

Researching issues connected to employment, you might want to check out these resources:

International Labour Organization - Youth Employment

The Youth Employment Network - A Network for Youth

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Skills and Work for Life

Impact Hub - The Social Innovation Space

Idealist - International Job and Internship Opportunities for Idealists

Regional economic development

In Gwansan-dong, South Korea where our school is located, we have devised a program to induce econom...

A letter to my younger intern self

Dear Hannah,You ready? I don't think you are. At the moment you're 18 and thinking you're re-inventi...

Being The Best You Can Be

A good name, fame, wealth and riches, the state of being a first-class personality, one who has the...

Empowering African women through micro-finance

Empowering someone means equipping them with the right resources or tools to make an impact. Therefo...

The Mental Health Toll of the Job Search

Like most college students, I started looking for my first full-time job a few months before graduat...

A difference

Sometimes, I think,I’ve lived too long.Seen a thousand ships sink,But then one floats along.Days pas...

The Gen Z uneasiness

So there I was, at my graduation ceremony. It was just coming down on me that I had actually finishe...

7 Cups: A Caring Revolution

As a psychology major currently in university, I have always been interested in mental health – its...

When I grow up...

If you could be anything in the whole world, what would you chose to be? Stop, close your eyes. Take...

All is one, one is all

I would like to share the message, to all humans worldwide, that balancing your life is the backbone...