#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

E-Commerce, Technology and the Commercialisation of Culture

The promotion of youth entrepreneurship is a policy objective for many countries. The very integrate...

Adopted and Proud

My sister and I are adopted from an Asian country. We are not biological sisters but as close as bio...

The Devil

The devil plays with my mind Clarity is hard to find Sane or even insane In the end its all the same...

Murder Of The Locks

She had the most luscious locksWhich she was always proud of.She had her hairlooked after by her mo...

Happiness is also...

Be happy.Be happy.Be happy.This sentence is not only repeated day after day by the voices in our hea...

6 things I wish everyone knew about volunteering

I am Kehinde Odanye, an African with special interests in quality education and international develo...

A passionate Call to Action from global youth

The world of political decision-making often come across as elitist and excluding; trying to enter t...

Mothers for peace

Never underestimate your efforts and your courage to advance the cause you plead.I was invited to a...

Think Globally, Act Locally; Goal 12

Note: This January, we were tasked as a class to pick a UN Sustainable Goal, in order to Think Globally and Act Locally. We chose Sustainable goal #12, Sustainable Consumption and Production. These are our reflections.The last drop of waterSlowly swishing side to sideAs the truck empties the waste F...

I Have a Dream

For the last quarter of my last year in high school spent in Philippine Science High School - Southe...