#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

My experience with service trips and volunteering

Service trips and volunteering are very important aspects of life. They are very important and each...

A Wish Come True

Little did he know what he was going to experience or receive when he left his hospital quarter that day. Little did he know that that day wasn't an ordinary one, but one in which his wish would come true. I am talking about Mark, a 6-year-old boy with a kidney dysfunction, whose wish I was honored...

A day to remember

This was a place my grandmother has repeatedly told me about. A place that I longed to go to, but ha...

Songs That Unite

The annual AMIS (Association of Music in International Schools) Gala concert was held in Jakarta Int...

Exploring The Sangiran Early Man Site, Central Java

“The number of early humans fossils found in Sangiran is more than ½ population of early humans foss...

Educating climate change in SE Asia

In light of the shift from traditional coal economy, Southeast Asia spurs a fine lead in using renew...

Strong is the new black

Trends come and go. That blouse you bought last season is passé and you now refuse to wear it. You t...

Quality Education in Nigeria - the Way Out!

The problem of education in Nigeria at both primary, secondary and tertiary level is huge. It is mas...

Lily of the Valleys

Let life take you through paths full of thorns. No one said it would be easy, well and if it is, bet...

Rediscovering the Discovered

Very recently I have been reading about ancient physics and how advanced our ancient physicists were...