#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

A young person gives back to his refugee camp

When seventeen-year-old Aime waved goodbye in 2011 to Kyaka II Refugee Settlement, a camp located in...

Everything I have is a gift

Wilson Kubwayo was only two years old when he and his family were forced to flee civil war in their...

Public speaking = Learning process not class

At my high school, summer school speech is the way to go. Everyone takes the class for 3 weeks, 5 da...

A new perspective on sports

On June 8, 2018, I sat on my couch, watching TV alone at 10 PM. It was unlike other Friday nights, w...

The Bellringer

It's almost eleven in the morning and a small crowd was gathering around the lobby of St. Sebastian....

I wear a Hijab...and YES, harassment is my problem too!

For the last couple of years, I developed this habit of getting around a table with friends, classmates, and colleagues to talk about problems & frustrations we experience on a daily basis. For us, discussing trending news about celebrities was not as intriguing and interesting as unveiling the...

Spectacle of education

They say children are the leaders of tomorrow, but how can we lead tomorrow if we have a narrow visi...

Hole In Me

Clawing to free myself,Gasping for air, panic,Silently screaming,The silence hits like a slap in the...

Unicef Youth Festival 2018

From 8.6-10.6.2018 180 dedicated young people from Germany attended the UNICEF Youth Festival in Nür...

Pad-ern of Change

“Think globally and act locally” is a motto that everyone should live by in order to make change become a reality. We were assigned by our teacher to set a goal for changing a global issue on a local level, and we chose to provide women and girls, especially those with financial struggles or those l...