#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

Stereotypes about women in their 20s and marriage

Being in your early 20s when you are a female Indonesian is hard for those of us who want to achieve our dreams. Even in this 21st century, stereotypes against women are still very much alive, even in the central region of our country, Jakarta. The majority of our society still sees a woman as someo...

5 Ways To Reach Your Goal

Any time you have a goal there are several steps that need to be done in order to achieve it. Here i...

My Advice to Next Year's High School Freshman

Yo,It's Riky,I'm a high school senior who's graduating in a few months to come and I'd like to give...

A Wingless Dream

Love gives you wings, They sing. But if its two souls intertwined, That you define. The flight,...

BEAUTY; In our own way

Beauty is a thought, it is a feeling. It is a feeling of calm even if everything else seems out of p...

Student Stress

“Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days/ When our momma sang us to sleep but now we’re s...

Justice: An untold story

Recently I had an unexpected visit from my uncle that I met a decade ago. Little did I know, he happened to be law graduate. Honestly, I never met a person who was a part of jurisdiction system. As a curious person, a lot of questions popped up in my mind waiting to be asked. I had to strike a conve...

Educating women

“Give me an educated mother, I shall promise you the birth of a civilized, educated nation.” We all are familiar to this great quote by the great Napoleon. Educating and empowering women is one of the most important thing in our society now. Life for an woman in a Asian country is not easy. We fac...

Change it. Stop it.

Just a few years ago, I was sitting for a public exam in school. Some of my friends were busy gettin...

Bright minds with humane hearts

The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights is a historical document and it marked a ch...