#Education

Everyone has the right to a good education! When young people are educated they are more likely to be aware of their rights and better able to make sure that these rights are respected. At the same time, education provides young people with vital skills and critical thinking and confidence, creating a healthy basis for everyone to succeed in life.

Besides formal education, such as education provided by schools and universities, there are other forms of education that become increasingly more relevant. Non-formal education, for example, entails education that is being provided by youth organizations, out-of-school clubs and e-courses. Informal education happens while discussing with friends and family or surfing the Internet.

Unfortunately, not every child and young person around the world has access to education. Some families are too poor to send their children to school, while other young people aren’t able to go to school due to safety concerns such as sexual harassment, violence or bullying. Some youth living in remote areas have no access to the Internet, while others don’t have access to educational facilities due to conflict or natural disasters. Too many girls are denied education due to local traditions, while other girls can’t attend school due to early pregnancies.

As education is a human right, it’s everyone’s responsibility to advocate for accessible and affordable education for all!

Researching issues connected to education, you might want to check out these resources:

Right to Education – Understanding Education as a Right

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization – Education in the 21st Century

BBC – Future Education

Ted – Education

Getting Smart – 50 Top Sources of Free eLearning Courses

The art of giving hope.

We all hope for a better day. We hope to live to see our future and the future of our children. We h...

Questioning Social Norms and Fighting Against Discrimination

Individually, we all have different experiences in life. In a nutshell, whether you live in Cambodia or somewhere else in the world, basically you will always be confronted with the dilemma between choosing to live your life satisfying social norms or having your own lifestyle free from social press...

Making The World A Better Place For The Transgender Community

In Cambodia, as well as around the world, the topic of transgender rights is not always included in conversations. There is a lack of representation and basic understanding of transgender people, and undeniably, there is also a lot of discrimination towards people in this group.In the United States,...

IT doesn't get better, but YOU do!

I was 16-years-old when I first felt the cool midnight breeze blow across my skin as I gazed up at t...

How to handle rejection in your life

As a growing child, I read a story about Cain and Abel. When God rejected Cain's sacrifice, he could...

How to Stay Focused

During my first year of grad school, we were given a book titled "FOCUS: The Hidden Driver of Excell...

I am a girl, do not kill me

The world is growing at a fast pace but we continue to face many big challenges. Even though there has been a sharp rise of women taking part in the workforce, in most of the remote areas of the world, when girls are born they are killed. This is one of the greatest evil of mankind we had ever seen....

More than what you think

No matter how many times it happens, I will never get used to the abuse of women. It can never be no...

A too risky game #EndPoverty

Each and every human being has aspires for the better, and this is the very peculiar quality that ma...

Letter to the helpless children in the warzones

Hello dear children,How are you doing on this fine day? It is a fine day here but it doesn't feel like a fine day in my heart when I remember you. I am reminded that you are suffering for the actions of generations ahead of us. I wish I can make it all better for you with the words that come out of...