#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

Climate Change: Individual Steps To Mitigate The Impact

Every step matters when it comes to climate change. The details of our daily behaviors are the key t...

Normal/Weird

We think that all the normal kids have the phones, the latest clothing trends, fit in very well, and that the weird ones, they have what they're given.As a weird kid myself I'm going to tell you what it's like from our point of view.Every time we're picked on for being weird, we fall into this state...

How to handle rejection in your life

As a growing child, I read a story about Cain and Abel. When God rejected Cain's sacrifice, he could...

Scattered on the verge of impossible

What is the truth, my truth? And where do I find that language of my soul everyone seems to talk abo...

It’s Not Me, It’s You: PLURAL+ 2017

Name: Zavia F.Title of your video: It’s Not Me, It’s You.Age: 15What 3 words describe you best? Determined, Creative, OutgoingTell us about your video – What is it about?It’s Not Me, It’s You is the expression of thoughts of a young girl (14 at the time) who is being severely impacted by the issues...

More than what you think

No matter how many times it happens, I will never get used to the abuse of women. It can never be no...

Blessed

From the window peeks the sunlight, and there flies a skylarkI was blessed to see the day begin, the...

Our Ever Expanding Universe

There are 7.6 Billion people in this world. To put that in perspective, there are approximately only 30,000 Starbucks. That's right, a lot of people in the world. And everyone has some sort of goal. Some want to be doctors, other actors, some may want to be astronauts or pilots or scientists or huma...

We Are Enough - PLURAL+ 2017

Names: Karolina S., Sara G., and Michalina B.Title of your video: We Are EnoughAge: 17 years oldWhat 3 words describe you best?Open-minded, diversity, friendship.Tell us about your video – What is it about?We Are Enough is a short film about differences, social and personal problems and acceptance o...

I am Limitless - PLURAL+ 2017

Name: Lina A.Title of your video: I am LimitlessAge: 23What 3 words describe you best? Creativity, Achiever, EmpatheticTell us about your video – What is your video about?My video is about identity. What really makes us who we are? With everything going on in the world and the rhetoric in themMedia,...