#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

Scoring a goal at a time....

I’ve been reading this book, for some time now. It’s called Grit. And I’ve fallen in love with it....

Live Your Dream

Is it okay for you to dream? Or have your own dream, for that matter? Are you dreaming what your...

Moment of Worth

She held in her arms a creation like no other.Blossoms of little flowers grew on her skinbecause of...

How can we instill and maintain a patriotic spirit into Youth?

Teaching history: the power to inspire. To make the younger generation understand the value of pat...

Please.

Please. It’s a simple statement, just a regular word, in such a confusing world. I ask you to please read and understand if you will. Please know that in this world full of dark things, that just around the corner is a brightness capable of filling 8 half’s of planets and countless half’s of moons....

Because, We Are Women.

They say we are different,Because some of us wear scarfs on their heads and others sport short hairc...

Seeking for a Change in Life

This is an article written by a 22 year old woman residing in Bangalore, India. She is writing this...

Our Full Potentials

(Thoughts based on the experience of a certain historical lecturer. What would become of us if we st...

The Voiceless

Growing up in Islamabad, the capital city of Pakistan, and belonging to a well-educated family, I believe that I have led a very privileged life than most of the women of my country. However, being a woman nonetheless, much like the others, I was expected to conform to a certain set of societal norm...

Three am changes

Everyone has different thoughts at 3 am. They range from, “Oh gosh, this assignment is due in 5 hours and I’m half way done” to somewhere around, “I don’t have a reason to sleep, to wake up, to do anything than to be here right now”. I guess my 3 am thought right now is why am I up, why am I writing...