#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

A forgotten pledge

“Are we the most superior beast on earth? No, not in strength and not in intelligence. It is very ar...

Politics - Let' s talk

I believe that many kids hear the word "politics" or something that has to do with the political sph...

For every female hero, a loving and courageous father

For the beginning years of my life, I have been raised in a house where gender-equality is a solid a...

To Egypt, sincerely with love

Egypt, my beloved, it has been a while since we last met.Last time I met you, you showed me the old...

Upon a Black Girl's Head

The living specimen upon her headis nothing short of a miraculous creation. Beyond the ignorant obse...

Youth and Materialism

Cell phones, laptops, cameras and the list goes on. More people especially youth are using electroni...

The strength in youth

Seed. Time. Harvest.All of your efforts are like seeds planted into the ground. It takes time for yo...

Ditching dread and befriending hope!

I’ve recently have made a new friend. Dread. The uneasy feeling has become a constant companion but...

You are all it takes

I observe a lot, which is one of my strengths that has given birth to several thoughts. I'd like to...

Play: The desire

It is well known that the "journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step". I am quite sure y...