#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

Stereotypes about women in their 20s and marriage

Being in your early 20s when you are a female Indonesian is hard for those of us who want to achieve our dreams. Even in this 21st century, stereotypes against women are still very much alive, even in the central region of our country, Jakarta. The majority of our society still sees a woman as someo...

5 Ways To Reach Your Goal

Any time you have a goal there are several steps that need to be done in order to achieve it. Here i...

THE FESTIVAL "AROUND THE WORLD"

Travelling is a good decision. During travel you familiarize yourself with cultures and traditions o...

The rhythm of searching

We are walking through the desert on the opposite sides of it.Everything seems still.The falcons are...

A Story of Forgiveness with Bullets

I am South African. For what it is worth, I come from one of the most diverse countries in the world...

A Wingless Dream

Love gives you wings, They sing. But if its two souls intertwined, That you define. The flight,...

Thank You

Do you feel it?The pulse beating in the side streets,Haunting our TV screens,Pounding in my head as I speakBecause there’s so much to doI should write this down soonI’m always short of precious timeCaffeine fueled, needing that American Dream, right?One of my beloved elementary teachers told meThat...

BEAUTY; In our own way

Beauty is a thought, it is a feeling. It is a feeling of calm even if everything else seems out of p...

Student Stress

“Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days/ When our momma sang us to sleep but now we’re s...

Y.O.U.T.H.

Young enough to know, Old enough to act, Understanding what the world has lost, To set the reviva...