#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

An Open Letter to Myself

Dear self,How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. I know life has been tough but you have done quite a good job to stay alive. Thank you for not giving up.Life is not a straight line, it goes up and down. If you are sometimes happy or sometimes sad, be glad because this is life. If you don’t w...

Questioning Social Norms and Fighting Against Discrimination

Individually, we all have different experiences in life. In a nutshell, whether you live in Cambodia or somewhere else in the world, basically you will always be confronted with the dilemma between choosing to live your life satisfying social norms or having your own lifestyle free from social press...

Making The World A Better Place For The Transgender Community

In Cambodia, as well as around the world, the topic of transgender rights is not always included in conversations. There is a lack of representation and basic understanding of transgender people, and undeniably, there is also a lot of discrimination towards people in this group.In the United States,...

The Xs that are piercing through the "impenetrable" Ys at work

Let us zoom in on more than the income earned by a female, who is well qualified and competent (if n...

Dare to be different, to be yourself

In all likelihood, you don't know what you want out of your life. I don't either. You are probably l...

Life in music

Time after time, change after change, we blame the tick-tock that ticks a moment to our song too soo...

The Fall

You saw five minutes of heaven and thoughtThat you were already there to last.And as for the rest of...

Climate Change: Individual Steps To Mitigate The Impact

Every step matters when it comes to climate change. The details of our daily behaviors are the key t...

Normal/Weird

We think that all the normal kids have the phones, the latest clothing trends, fit in very well, and that the weird ones, they have what they're given.As a weird kid myself I'm going to tell you what it's like from our point of view.Every time we're picked on for being weird, we fall into this state...

How to handle rejection in your life

As a growing child, I read a story about Cain and Abel. When God rejected Cain's sacrifice, he could...