#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

Everything I have is a gift

Wilson Kubwayo was only two years old when he and his family were forced to flee civil war in their...

I wear a Hijab...and YES, harassment is my problem too!

For the last couple of years, I developed this habit of getting around a table with friends, classmates, and colleagues to talk about problems & frustrations we experience on a daily basis. For us, discussing trending news about celebrities was not as intriguing and interesting as unveiling the...

Unicef Youth Festival 2018

From 8.6-10.6.2018 180 dedicated young people from Germany attended the UNICEF Youth Festival in Nür...

Who’s more sustainable: An individual or society?

From the beginning of mankind we have lived in societies, communities, tribes and families. I believ...

Pad-ern of Change

“Think globally and act locally” is a motto that everyone should live by in order to make change become a reality. We were assigned by our teacher to set a goal for changing a global issue on a local level, and we chose to provide women and girls, especially those with financial struggles or those l...

My Journey, My Flag

My journey, my flag.The final salute,She said as tears dripped down her face.The words never came.Her life, my pain.The writing said it all, she was all gone.The red flashing light said it all.She passed away in spirit and soul, she’ll never go.But that was the day the words never came.Therefore, as...

How social norms can kill

How many of you have been bullied?How many of you have been depressed or self-harmed?How many of you...

The joy of loving you (Far away)

If people were feelings, you’d be shame. You that I love so much, you that reminds me of and brings...

Echanted Arts Festival

We think more; we feel less. With the new communication era, we have left our feelings in the past a...

Must read for all students...

Sometimes you wish for your life to move more quickly. Thoughts of the future dance in your mind- "b...