#Culture

Our world is rich in different cultures, customs and traditions. Isn’t it exactly this diversity that makes our planet so beautiful?

Most cultural practices and landmarks are tied to a certain place or a certain people and are often intertwined with the local history. Some cultural customs are only practiced by a very small group of people and are therefore at risk to be forgotten and extinct - an example is customs of some indigenous peoples. Other cultural customs transgress the place where they originated from and become popular around the world - the increased global access to the Internet reinforces this development.

Be it music, cinema, art, dance, food, fashion or language, young people are often at the forefront when it comes to new developments in these areas. At the same time, young people are the ones that preserve ancient traditions by receiving cultural wisdom from the previous generation and passing it on to the next one.

An increasingly globalized and interconnected world allows us to experience and enjoy the beauty of cultural diversity like never before. At the same time, cultures sometimes clash - new and unknown cultural customs can lead to anxiety among native populations and create fears. As open-minded international young people, it’s our duty to serve as bridges for dialogue between different cultures and dismantle fears by raising awareness about the benefits of multiculturalism!

Researching issues connected to culture, you might want to check out these resources:

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization - Culture

UN Alliance of Civilization - Programmes and Projects

Center for Intercultural Dialogue - Key Concepts in Intercultural Dialogue

Open Culture - The Big List of Culture Blogs (old but still a great list!)

THE OUTSTANDING INFLUENCES OF MOTHER AFRICA

On Africa’s land, our dreams are visualizedOn Africa’s land, our lives are definedOn Africa’s land, our strengths are replenishedOn Africa’s land, our tongues are loosenedOn Africa’s land, our homes are developedOn Africa’s land, our people are empoweredOn Africa’s land, our resources are discovered...

A day to remember

This was a place my grandmother has repeatedly told me about. A place that I longed to go to, but ha...

Songs That Unite

The annual AMIS (Association of Music in International Schools) Gala concert was held in Jakarta Int...

Exploring The Sangiran Early Man Site, Central Java

“The number of early humans fossils found in Sangiran is more than ½ population of early humans foss...

Strong is the new black

Trends come and go. That blouse you bought last season is passé and you now refuse to wear it. You t...

Lily of the Valleys

Let life take you through paths full of thorns. No one said it would be easy, well and if it is, bet...

Home

I have always considered this beautiful Earth a gift we were given, an explosion of art and colours,...

What can youth really do?

The definitions of who is a youth varies, but usually it is someone between the ages of 16-35 approx...

The Move

In most people's lives, they have either not moved at all or have, but just a few times. For me it w...

Book Review: Sheryl Sanberg's Lean In

I recently finished this book during the leisure time; more precisely my free time during the holida...