Young people, whatever your country, you are the world's future: Testimony of a young Haitian wounded and cured

no picture Sindy Obed

I grew up in Riviere Salée, in the commune of Baraderes which is located in the department of Nippes in Haiti. My father abandoned me, my three sisters and my little brother when I was in primary school. He left to go to Santo Domingo where he lives until today. My mother was supporting us all alone, until I was in my final class where I was a champion of a city wide poetry contest in Baraderes organized by Haitians from the United States. As a winner I received money to pay for my enrollment in the Saint Jean Baptiste des Baraderes school, which is very expensive for the many low-income inhabitants of Baraderes.

In Haiti, universities are rare and concentrate mainly in Port-au-Prince, just like many other services. Given this it was inevitable for me to go to Port-au-Prince to continue my studies, but without money in hand, without my mother, or rather without anything. My mother worked for a long time to find a home for me in Port-au-Prince, which seemed to be indeterminate. After many calls, my kind godmother Mathuld accepted to receive me at her home.

I arrived in Port-au-Prince feeling discouraged and even fell sick from the long search to find a home. In these moments, it is always good to look for good friends or advisers. A former pastor of mine, who is engraved in memory, since he was in my community as a missionary advised me to register at the Adventist University of Haiti, a University that a young boy without money can not attend. However, as soon as I enrolled, my mother and godmother, although weak financially, brought all their support.

I am now an Alison ambassador and member of the Social Media Team at the University of People in the United States where I have been able to participate in the World Forum on Internet Governance in Geneva, Switzerland. I am also a Fellow for the Internet Society where I consult governments on Internet governance issues, and participate in existing projects and develop new ones to help my country deal with these issues. I am moving every day, I teach, I train, I give conferences. I was even invited by the press of my country to talk on TV about e-learning, on a show called Scoop TV.

I do not want to be only a Haitian citizen but rather a citizen of a world of peace without linguistic barriers where young people, on the same table, shape the future. I advise young people to always be wise, disciplined and honest and never give up.