Will the youth of today be better fathers?

no picture Student, Tata Institute of Social Sciences
Shashank S R

Free source: Photo by Ferenc Horvath on Unsplash

For many of us, our fathers are a constant source of inspiration. Mine was my first superhero that I looked up to since my childhood. I believe this is mainly because our fathers can do what others in our lives cannot. He fixed most electronic devices including remotes, mixers and night lamps when it was needed the most. He showed some tricks with the cricket ball that none of the boys mastered. He taught us how to ride a bicycle or motorbikes and even repaired most of the time. He could repair the plumbing pipes, the squeaky doors, carry loads of weight on his shoulders, arrange for books with just minutes left to leave for school. He would indeed arrange, by forgiving his own ambitions, the dress or the diwali crackers that was of our reach.

This list can go on and on and on. But, what I want you to note is that, he was our go-to man at troublesome times. Each time we were in an undesirable situation, he would pull us out of it and that’s precisely why he was our superhero. I believe that when children reach adolescence, they often become open to a much bigger world where they start to feel that others have better capabilities than our father. That’s how some of us tend to overthrow the inspirational hero picture of our father and start questioning and sometimes rebelling. It’s only quite later that many of us start understanding the limitations with which he had worked and how successful he was in managing things.

I strongly believe that today's youth will find fatherhood more difficult for the following reasons:

· Lacking in life skills: I feel that the division of labour has pushed us to specialize in one task, that we can forget that we require other skills to have a good living. I feel that this makes us dependent upon other people and things which are not under our control, upon whose failure or absence makes it difficult for us to manage things. This may put us in hard situations for which we are unprepared.

· Using reward and punishment techniques instead of inspiring: A major observation that I have noted among the younger parents is that they use reward and punishment techniques to nurture their child’s abilities. I feel that reward and punishment is a great short-term fix, but not likely to help in the long run. I believe that inspiring your children is the greatest way to nurture, but it demands a lot of discipline and ethics to be practiced even before preaching them.

· Rapid technological changes: I imagine that as technology grows with increasing speeds, it will be more difficult for us to adapt to it as we age. When we fail to adapt, we shall soon be left out. So, how is this going to affect our parenthood you may ask? Though a father does not need technology to connect to his child, it should not be denied that technology is one such medium to achieve it.

· The time factor: With professional life encroaching upon our personal sphere of life, some of us tend to give up on families, especially with children as spending time with children can be seen as a tedious task to undertake after work.

Though the above mentioned points are quite contentious and are not digging deep into the issue, I believe and hope it shall at least start making us think upon being better fathers down the line.