What's your shade?

no picture Shaza A. Bakir

Free source: Photo by Andrew Ridley on Unsplash

It’s weird how we all have a certain shade that can forever direct, sharpen, define us...It’s why some of us like black coffee and others like lattes, why some of us choose the seat beside the window, the long road to home, the tune of our phone ring, and even the flavor of our tea. It’s what made Frank Sinatra sing at the end point of his career, "But more, much more than this, I did it my way!"

Your taste in life literally makes your life, the movies you watch, the songs you dance to, the people you follow, the roads to take, the decisions you make... your sense is your existential identity. I believe it’s the only identity in our lives that we make, choose and create by ourselves.

Well...how did our shade get shaped?

As kids, we tend to prefer a toy over the other ones to play with, places to discover, and a cartoons' hero to become. Then we develop our selective affection to choose friends, hobbies, education, and even jobs. It's our unseen fingerprint on the wall of being, it’s that part of you someone will remember you for even if they have forgotten your name.

I applied the first task that my painting teacher gave me "Get to know the perfect shades of color for your own painting, choose the shades that you fall in love with, that give you perfect self-complacence." I got an A+ that day, but in life painting? Who knows ..

What about you, what's your shade?