Trees: Our Natural Air Conditioners

Fredrick Chilongo

Trees are more than just part of nature, they provide wildlife with food and shelter. Trees add so much beauty to the world making it more colorful.

Just like air conditioners absorb dust particles from your room and blow in purified air, trees also absorb carbon dioxide - which is harmful to humans - from the atmosphere, and in turn give out oxygen which is very essential for our survival.

Research has shown that a single tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of Carbon Dioxide each year and by the time it reaches 40 years old it would have absorbed about 1 ton of carbon dioxide. Isn’t this amazing? It is for sure.

Today however, trees face a great threat as urbanization and demand for wood fuel increases especially in developing countries like Zambia. According to the Zambia Forestry department, between 300,000 and 250,000 hectares of forest are cut each year in Zambia alone.

This is very saddening because it takes most trees about 10 to 15 years for them to fully mature and if we continue cutting so many trees every year, we will not be able to keep up with deforestation even if we plant more trees as they require time to grow. Deforestation will continue scarring our planet if we do not take sustainable measures to reduce the demand for forest products.

Destroying our forests contributes to Climate Change which in turn causes global warming, leading to droughts and floods which will in turn lead to destruction of property and loss of human lives. This means economic growth will also be affected especially in developing countries. According to IPCC we are currently on a track to hit a global temperature increase of about 3°C to 4°C by the end of this Century. It does not have to get to such extremes if we work together and fight for a greener world.

I do not want to be left out in the fight against Climate Change that is why with the help of my colleagues I have set up a page on Facebook called Green Footprint Zambia. This way we can sensitize the Zambian people on environmental issues and hopefully change their mindset and help them see the damage being done to the earth, as well as the necessary measures we can take to preserve the earth for the future generations.

Remember we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.