To Love And Care For The Orphans

Fredrick Chilongo

“Every day before going to school” says Andrew a 10-year-old orphan, “I have to do tiring chores such as scrubbing the floor while the rest of the children in my household are either playing, watching TV or sleeping. After completing the chores, I start preparing for my classes that start around noon.”

He further adds, “I learn at a government school located about a 40 minutes’ walk from my place and it is normally hard for me to concentrate in class because I get very exhausted by the time I reach school.”

Andrew’s parents died just a few years after he was born which forced him to live with his aunt, grandmother and cousins in Kitwe, a town on the Copperbelt province of Zambia. Life has not been easy for him since, he is usually worried as his clothes and shoes have seen better days.

I normally see myself in children like him because I know what it feels like to be an orphan, to be unable to have the things that others have or to be treated differently because of your situation. Thus, whenever I see the little boy, I encourage him to work hard in school and assure him that life will be alright soon. I also provide some measure of assistance whenever I have the means.

Andrew has inspired me to work hard in my career and help more orphans in the near future. I firmly believe that being an orphan does not mean the end of the world. With hard work, perseverance and faith in God, anyone can achieve greatness!