The subtle art of forgiveness

Posted
Nov

Free source: Pixabay

Free source: Pixabay

If you told your past self that you would come to learn one of the simplest yet most intricate fundamental principles of life, would you think that it had anything to do with forgiveness?

Would you know that you'd be able to let go of the ugliness that others have made you feel?

Would you want to feel vulnerable at your most delicate point?

I didn't. I also didn't want anything to do with forgiving people.

But now, I realize, that it is my only door towards the future. If we don't learn to forgive others, we will never learn to forgive ourselves.

When I was around ten years old, I moved into a new neighbourhood. Young and naive as any other ten year old, I was ready to take on the world. I made friends, I had fun, I read books; what else did a child this age have to know about?

Then came my first unexpected encounter with words that were articulated in such a way that all in a second, my confidence dissolved into foam. Those words stuck on like tattoos. Once they've been said, they're with you forever.

But life can't be rewound. I couldn't take back what others have said to me, and it's rather funny to say that I wouldn't either.

Without anyone ever saying anything to shatter my confidence or self-esteem, I don't think I would have ever had the courage to rise back stronger. With this power, I felt invincible, and I could use it to help others facing the same.

I wanted to forgive. I wanted others to forgive me. I wanted to let go of this weight pulling me back. Except that I didn't know how to. We don't realize that the most basic things in life are some of the toughest things to do.

Life is a journey of discovering and finding out the truth of who you really are. But you will never be able to do that if you keep focusing on what happened to you in the past. We are all bound to make mistakes; we are all human after all. Your life is a pure and precious gift. So don't be the one to cloud it with impurity and hate.

And who knows, maybe your actions will inspire that same person to learn how to forgive. Our actions, after all, are a ripple effect.