The fight for girls' education: Lilly Singh and Malala Yousafzai

Posted
Zeinab

Avatar Zeinab

Lilly Singh and Malala Yousafzai

Lilly Singh and Malala Yousafzai

Malala Yousafzai – a young activist for female education whose advocacy has become an international movement – and Lilly Singh – a YouTube personality, founder of the campaign Girl Love, and UNICEF Ambassador who advocates for children's rights – are two great examples of fighters who aim to make the world a better place.

Education is one of the most important things humans acquire. Being educated allows us to attain knowledge that will extend our understanding and development of the self, which in turn, allows us to build our future and influence the world.

Access to education is a universal human right, but unfortunately, millions of girls are being deprived the chance to get educated for reasons such as discrimination, poverty, war, early marriage, and being controlled by influential powers who dictate that girls are not allowed to go to school. These girls are living in fear and sadness of not being able to create a future of their own, and are being deprived of their basic human rights.

It's people like Lilly Singh and Malala Yousafzai who fight against this and use their voices to stand up for these youth, and ensure that girls receive access to education to build their futures.

Malala used her voice to stand up to the Taliban, who were the main reason why girls in Pakistan were not receiving access to education. Malala had a choice to "either remain silent and be killed, or speak up and be killed", and she chose to stand up. Today, Malala is one of the most influential women in the world. Even after getting shot by the Taliban, Malala still uses her voice to speak up for the rights of girls to education, and she made it loud and clear while receiving the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014 when she stated, "I am the 66 million girls who are deprived education". Her organisation, the Malala Fund, is going strong with the extraordinary aim of helping girls go to school and raising their voices for the right to education.

Lilly Singh is focused on doing more for girls empowerment, and through her Girl Love campaign, she partnered with Me to We and created Girl Love Rafiki bracelets. In turn, these bracelets allow women in Kenya to have jobs through hand-crafting these Rafikis. These women use the income from each bracelet sold to send their daughters to school. Lilly's Girl Love campaign is empowering women and allowing girls to go to school, while also building sustainable communities.

We can all take something from these two powerful women. We all have the power and the voice to influence change. So why not be the change we want to see in the world? All it takes is for humanity to stand hand-in-hand in order for the world to become a better place. Every human being is entitled to receive quality education. I'd like to end by quoting a powerful and truthful quote by Malala, that "one child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world."