The Beauty of Silence

no picture lalitha09

Do you ever just sit still and listen? Listen to the sounds of cars whizzing down the street, or birds chirping? Have you ever woken up at night and heard nothing at all, just the sound of a world sleeping?

As a teen I feel like my life is going in all sorts of directions with no place to take a break. My mind seems to be constantly on alert waiting for the next sound to come. I never seem to be able to just sit and breathe, and not worry about an upcoming test or be trying to find places to volunteer at to fill up my resume. But once I tried it and just forgot about all the other voices in my head and sounds in the world around me I found something - the beauty of silence.

Some people might not understand what I mean by calling silence beautiful, but you can’t say anything until you try it. Just close your eyes and breathe in and out, block out everything inside and outside of your head and just breathe. This takes you to a state of calm where you can see that life is only as complicated as you make it to be. That silence is like a breath of fresh air which you can never let go of until you realise that you have a physics test next week.

This breath of fresh air has taught me to appreciate the small things in life because they could be what helps you make it through the day.

One minute of silence can help anyone make it through a hectic day, but you never know until you try.