Teachers Make the World Go Round

Avatar Ashley T.

Thank you for encouraging and inspiring me to contribute my own verse to the world.

Sometimes, our teachers don't understand the weight of their words and how much of an impact they can leave on us.

There are so many times that I've told myself, "You can't do this." But, for some inexplicable reason, many of my teachers have always been able to point out my strengths and capabilities, even when I've failed to see them. They've somehow always chosen to believe in me, even when I don't. But, they really don't know how much it means to have someone see the light in me when all I see is a deep, dark abyss with no shining beacon at the end of the tunnel.

From the trials and tribulations of my capricious behaviour in primary school (in retrospect, I really don't know why my form and subject teachers continued supporting me even after giving them so much trouble) to the stressful periods afflicting us students in secondary school, there have been many changes in my academic life. But the one group of people who have remained my constant even through the ups and downs, with the exception of my parents and friends, would be my teachers.

So thank you, teachers, for always doing your best to engage me in the subject matter at hand. Thank you, for being so dedicated and committed to helping me learn. Thank you, for taking the time and effort to invest in me. But thank you, most of all, for all of the lifelong lessons that you've taught me, because these are ultimately the things that I will carry with me well into adulthood.

Your devotion has truly humbled me, and spurred me on to want to be a better person. To be the change that I wish to see in the world. To contribute a spirited verse to the powerful play that will continue to go on. To make a difference, even if it is in the smallest of ways. Because you have undoubtedly made a difference in my life, and the only rightful thing to do is to reciprocate.

Ultimately, what they say really doesn't hold the least bit of truth. "Money" isn't what makes the world go round. Teachers are.

To all the teachers who have dedicated their lives to nurturing a better generation: Happy Teacher's Day.