Should schools allow students to use gadgets in the classroom?

Christine Maala

Photo from Pexels

Photo from Pexels

A gadget is a small tool or electronic device which anyone can use, especially among this generation. Many students are interested in technologies because they help us in our lives to do things very easily and in less time. By using these gadgets, students can access a lot of information.

Today, the world has a lot of technology compared to the past.

So why should schools allow gadgets?

Instant access to knowledge and multitude of resources. Students can find a lot of new ideas by expanding their capability in educational technology in applying 21st century skills; building interpersonal communication skills; working more effectively with teams; and creating and innovating new ideas, concepts, and products. Instead of using books, you can research about new features on different apps or by watching videos on YouTube.

Readiness for the future, according to Willie Mata of Centre Technologies, mobility is currently the next great movement in the workplace, and students who use technology in the classroom today will be more adapted to using it in the future. The National Science Board in the USA says that in 2013, President Obama announced the ConnectED initiative, pledging to connect 99% of American students to next-generation broadband and high-speed wireless in their schools and libraries by 2018. And with the help of the new ideas, the youth or students today can use their knowledge and skills for their future careers. The world will have a higher technology use in the future compared today.

Proven Student Engagement and Interest to learn, an article by the National Math and Science Initiative shows that blended learning styles keep students focused for longer and makes them more excited to learn more, especially for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) subjects. Also, laptops, tablets, mobile phones and other digital devices can help the students enhance the interaction with their classmates and instructors by encouraging collaboration. It affects how students live, work, play, and most importantly, learn. With the integration of technology in education, students have the ability to slow down and go back over lessons and concepts, and, if more advanced they can go ahead. It also frees up the teacher to help their students on a more one-on-one level.

So, schools should allow students to use their gadgets in the classroom because it contributes a lot to the students’ ability, understanding, knowledge and skills, by having new features or a multitude of resources on the internet or apps which can be used in individual or group work. It makes students more advanced and enhances what they can learn. Also, schools should let students have access to wifi connections in applying activities and online work. Technology is very significant, so let the students benefit from the opportunity to have an advanced knowledge and be better prepared for the future.