Refugees

Avatar Its about Humanity
Angeline Michelle

Photo from Unsplash

Photo from Unsplash

Since a long time ago I had been very curious about the “Refugees” issue and had planned an article for it, however I didn´t dare to write about it because I still didn´t know some things and didn´t handle the topic 100%, and I think I haven´t done it yet but I took the beautiful task of educate myself a little more about this humanitarian problem that has been causing havoc for many years.

A refugee as described in the THE REFUGEE CONVENTION, 1951 is a person that as the result of events of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.

For me, a refugee is a human being who, as described in the Convention, does not want or cannot continue to live in his country due to factors beyond his control.

Only 61 per cent of refugee children attend primary school, compared to 92 per cent of children globally and a lot of children have been forced to flee their homes due to armed conflicts according to UNHCR. This a really high number but we also have to consider that there are adults who flee because of social problems in their country.

I watched a video in which a kid of around 5 years old told a reporter "When I grow up and the war starts again I'll take care of my mother, I'll put her under the bed so they can not hurt her"; I immediately asked myself: How is it possible that children in the ages of psychomotor development and babies of up to 6 months or less have to go through terribly dangerous and sad situations because of the violence in their country? How sad.

Without any doubt, UNHCR is doing its best to give all its support to these people who are mostly children, but it is a humanitarian problem that must end and I´ll be honest, I know that there are many people with a desire of change their community for the better, but this type of problems are not resolved overnight, meanwhile we can support these wonderful organizations or try to raise awareness and educate others about the problems that these people go through when traveling in boats crossing oceans, or transported in trains full of people and suitcases, being mistreated, contracting diseases, being easy target of kidnappers, rapists and enslaved in some countries they must cross to reach their destination, which doesn´t always receive them with open arms.

These my friends, are some of the situations that refugees go through, probably you don´t look at them daily or maybe you don´t know about the negative impact that this has worldwide, but I write about it because I wish more people could open their minds a little more to the knowledge of humanitarian problems like this.

I consider that we can stop seeing our favorite series a moment so we can educate ourselves about issues of global importance, save some time to offer direct or indirect support to organizations focused on any humanitarian issue.

I hope you have been interested reading this, if you want to contribute a constructive criticism to the post, I beg you to leave a comment on the article.

- Michelle