Quality Education in Nigeria - the Way Out!

no picture Oluwatosin Philip Oguntunde

© UNICEF/NYHQ2007-0494/Nesbitt

© UNICEF/NYHQ2007-0494/Nesbitt

The problem of education in Nigeria at both primary, secondary and tertiary level is huge. It is massive! We must take matters into our own hands. As only we can refine our educational future. Do not fool yourself into believing we are moving forward when we are only keeping up with general trends, while the real opportunities are slipping away.

A practical step is needed to change our schools' curricula because they do not focus explicitly on developing the creativity, skills and human potentials of our students. The current educational system kills students’ creative instincts. We need to develop a curriculum that supports the discovery, nurturing and monetization of the natural talents, untapped gifts and unused abilities of students to the maximum level.

Also, vocational and technical education should be made compulsory for every student. In countries with a higher Human Development Index such as Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, etc. before any student progresses to tertiary education, they must have completed a compulsory process of learning specific vocational and technical skills in a government technical and vocational training centre. This model could help improve the education system in Nigeria if we adopted it.

When a nation is filled with economically skilled people, the value creation chain is improved, and more value will be delivered to create massive wealth. Nigeria and Africa need highly motivated, skilled knowledge workers and not certified illiterates. There is a need to focus on technologically-driven education that helps students provide innovative solutions to various social problems. Any education that undermines your ability to create, innovate and invent is nonsense and useless.

All great nations are a product of innovative ideas. When massive investment is channeled towards STEM education we can improve our productivity, economic growth and national development. In this age of technological revolution technology driven ideas can travel at the highest speed without any boundaries and barriers. Speed is always important because the fastest overtakes the biggest.

Finally, according to statics, Nigeria has over 10.5 million out-of-school children – the world’s highest number. This number is more than the total population of Togo and Botswana combined (apx. 9.5 million people).

Education needs financing. I mean massive financing. UNESCO advocates that to attain the level of education that is equitable, inclusive and of high quality we should devote 26 % of our yearly national budget to education.

These are the ways out of our current situation.