Poverty

no picture Miss
Ubwiza Chiyungi

Free source: Pexels

Free source: Pexels

My hope is to see a world eradicated of poverty. People in poverty often cannot choose the situations they find themselves in, such as living in polluted areas and war zones, and not having an education and good healthcare. The poorest people often get discriminated against. Poverty affects everything; people who are poor are unable to obtain and learn what is needed to save, protect or develop to their full potential.

I believe poverty creates greed, corruption and violence. It can lead to fighting for resources and needs that people don’t have. I believe all the other 16 Sustainable Development Goals are centered on poverty: For instance; many people in poverty cannot afford a quality education, are experiencing hunger, are living within an unsustainable infrastructure, are discriminated against and lack access to sanitation or clean water.

I long for all people in poverty in Zambia and the rest of the world to be able to provide for their daily needs, such as nutritious food, clean water and quality education. I want to see every child that grows up in poverty to come out of its chains and be free to become all that they dream themselves to be. With that, they can be able realize their full potential. I wish for those who come from a family line where generation after generation have grown and died in extreme poverty to be able to be the first in their family to change the course of their destiny, for them to have an opportunity to dream!

From the words of Nelson Mandela, Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is the protection of a fundamental human right, the right to dignity and a decent life.