My Voices of Youth Blogging Internship

Avatar Blogger
Derwayne M. Wills

Writing my final blog entry at 4:24am on this last day of August, I just can't wrap my finger around this being my final blog post. Is this the end though? So soon? Or is this the beginning of something so explosive, so mammoth in proportion, that it would make the Big Bang jealous?

Whatever it is, I can say that this Voices of Youth Blogging Internship has been a turning point for me. In my writing, advocacy, and even the way I see issues facing youth globally.

This internship was an opportunity to be part of a dynamic group of interns who were young changemakers around the world. Clearly I didn't belong. I’d be lying if I said I didn't have some doubts or uncertainties about my placement. And I’d be lying if I said there weren't some moments of writer's’ block.

But I couldn't let self-doubt and negative thoughts get the best of me. This blogging internship was about many things for me. It was about owning my spacing, or even having a space to begin with. But most importantly, it was about finding my voice and ultimately using that voice to globally amplify the plight of the voiceless.

Challenges?

Of course there were challenges! It wouldn't be a memorable experience if there weren't some hurdles to jump over. Challenges are inescapable, and they are a natural part of life. The secret to overcoming them is to keep moving, and to keep an open mind. After all, life is best lived with an open mind.

Coming into the internship, I had zero expectations. But I am proud to say that I leave with an expanded knowledge on how to use my skill as a positive change maker, and as a member of a global network of youth still fighting against the war on exclusion.

I started this blog post questioning whether I have come to the end. The answer is yes. But with every end, there is a new beginning. This might be the end of my internship, but this is not the end of my blogging. This is not the end of my advocacy. And this is certainly not the end of my struggle to ensure youth inclusivity in every sector of my country, my region, and even the world.

This is the beginning of something beautiful and dynamic.

Some time ago, I submitted a blog post where I referenced the phoenix at the beginning. I go back to that reference because of the symbolism of the cycle of the creature in J.K Rowling’s Harry Potter novels. When a phoenix is ready to die, it will burst into flames and fall to the ground as ashes. But from those ashes, another phoenix is born.

Like the phoenix, I am ready to be reborn from the ashes.