Life Below Water

no picture Life Below Water
Life Below Water

Pexels.

Pexels.

According to “livescience.com”, Approximately 71% of Earth's surface is water and within that 71% holds over 700,000 to 1,000,000 different kinds of living organisms. All these life forms rely on the water to keep them alive. When we pollute and destroy our water we destroy the life within it. It is important not only for them, but for us as well, to keep our water as clean as we can.

There are 17 Global Goals according to the United Nations. Our project is to choose one of these goals and find a way to apply our ideas to our community. We live in Cañon City Colorado and we are known for the river that flows through our town, the Arkansas River. Of these goals we chose to tackle “Life Below Water” because all life depends on our waters, and our location makes it easier to get everyone involved. When we heard about this project we were eager to find different ways to act locally to help better our situation. Since we are not able to make a difference on a large scale, due to our landlocked state, we decided to explore the river that flows through our town. We figured the first step to making a big difference locally was to pick up trash and other pollutants on the river walk and shores. We all gathered with gloves and trash bags to clean up the area around our river to prevent it from ending up in our water system.

We decided to clean up our local river walk because we felt that it would send a message to everyone in our community and help them understand the importance of recycling and keeping our water clean. To spread the word, we need to do something that you can see the benefit and the change no matter how small. We act small now, but we dream big for the future.