I Have a Dream

no picture (Student)
April Mae Dacula

Pexel

Pexel

For the last quarter of my last year in high school spent in Philippine Science High School - Southern Mindanao Campus, we have to deliver a speech for 3-4 minutes in front of an audience, which basically is composed of my classmates and our teacher. The speech we have to deliver can be about anything under the sun. There were a lot who have done their speeches before me wonderfully so I was kind of nervous about delivering my speech. I don't want to be just any other person standing in the stage talking about something the crowd won't probably even remember. And well, to be honest, for the most part, I really didn't want to have low grades for my last English exam. So, I thought about it hard and came to the conclusion that I can't possibly deliver a good speech unless what I'm going to say comes from my heart and is something that I really am passionate about. That is how I ended up talking about my dream in this speech.

"Every single one of us has their own interests, their own passions, their very own dreams. I am April Mae Dacula and right now, I am going to talk about mine."

"I have a dream. It’s a vision of my future I have been holding on to. It was back in 10th grade that I have set my heart onto something that I really want to do. Something that keeps me up at night, constantly boggles my mind, scares me. It even makes me emotional."

"The children. The youth. Like what our national hero, Dr. Jose Rizal, once said, “They are the hope of our nation.” They are the future."

"We are indeed very lucky that we are able to go to school and to a very prestigious one, that is. And that very soon, we can go after our lifelong dreams. But think about other children. Think about those in remote areas. Those children who cannot afford to go to school. Those children who in their very young age have already started working. Those children who need to but cannot seek medical help. Those children who have lost their families and fled their homes due to war, conflict, and disasters. Those children to whom ambitions belong only in their imaginations. Those children who, like every single one of us, have doubted themselves, their capabilities, their worth. Those children who are not even given the opportunity to follow and live their dreams. These are the ones I ache for. These are the ones I strive hard for. These children are the ones I live for."

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is my dream. For every child, there is hope. There is meaning. There is a future. Now, this may seem very ambitious. Everybody else may say that in order to achieve this, what I need is a miracle. Believe me, I know this for a fact. But, also believe me when I say it is not impossible. If only a miracle can make this change happen, then so be it. I will be that miracle."

"As some of you may know, my one goal in life is to work with UNICEF. The United Nations Children’s Fund believes that “All children have a right to survive, thrive, and fulfill their potential.” For 70 years now, UNICEF has worked to protect the rights of every child and improve the lives of children and their families. But this is never enough."

"Like UNICEF, I believe that “Education is the key to opportunities.” Opportunities for a better life, a better world, a better future. Educating children is an investment in their futures, and in peaceful and prosperous societies. That is why I am here today in front of you. To tell you that we are very lucky, indeed, to be right here, right now. Enjoying quality education that some children can’t even have."

"I guess, I am here to ask one thing of you today. And that is to be a miracle. If other children can’t get quality education, then let’s use ours to open up opportunities for them. Let’s use our voices for them to be heard. Our talents for them to be noticed. Our hearts for them to have hope. I am calling on you today to do it for those who can’t. Let the children’s dreams be a reality now. This is my dream. For every child, dreams that do come true. Thank you!"

The day I delivered my speech was one memorable moment in my life. The audience gave a big great round of applause and I even heard someone say, "I felt that!" I never knew that even by only sharing your dream, you can shed some light on something that matters even if only for that moment.

I have never felt so happy about giving a speech before. Back then, for me, every single oral presentation is an opportunity to fail or make a mistake. But, as I have realized, it is actually okay because at least, I have been given the opportunity to learn. And that is my dream for every child, to live and to learn. So, let us all be miracles in our own way. It really doesn't take much to do so. Even just a small act of kindness can go a long way. :)

For every child, opportunities through education.