How social norms can kill

Minna Katz

This is what society does to people. But society never knows because we don’t talk. We need to start talking, yelling and screaming because we need to show all teens they are not alone and they can tell people how they feel.

How many of you have been bullied?

How many of you have been depressed or self-harmed?

How many of you have struggled with anorexia, bulimia or suicidal thoughts?

How many of you have never told someone what happened or how you've felt?

These are reasons why social norms and social expectations can ruin today’s society. Many of us feel that we have to act "okay", that we have to put on a smile and say we’re “fine” when “I’m fine” really means “I’m dying inside and I need help”. We don't tell anyone because we’re embarrassed. We don’t want to be judged. We don’t want to be looked upon as weak.

Many of us think we’re the only ones going through this, but in reality most people are suffering. We’re not talking because we feel that the 1% of people we think are "perfect" may judge us for everything and anything we do. We don't talk about the fact that most people don’t wake up with perfect hair, but society makes it appear that we need to be like the 1% of people who do wake up with perfect hair, so why is it that the 1% of “perfect people” and the 99% of “imperfect” people are both unhappy? Ever since the age of 5 or 6 we’re taught how to fit into society, and the majority of people differing from what society wants is deemed weird and bullied. People can commit suicide because of this. There is a lot of stigma with mental illness so people often keep their feelings quiet so other people might not know how they’re feeling. Is this right, is this how society should be? Why are we letting this happen?

No one in this world is perfect. You need to make a change. You need to start being you with no regrets. Once you start, people will follow. Stand with me in this and we can make a change to society its harmful thoughts.