Girls can't be brides

Avatar Its about Humanity
Angeline Michelle

Free source: unsplash

Free source: unsplash

Honduras.

At the age of 12, like many other girls, I spent my time playing with my friends from school, studying, or perhaps in my room reading an interesting book- leading what I believed to be a life totally normal for a girl.

Now I wonder...

What would have happened? If my parents had told me:

We have a husband for you, you marry him in 3 months, or for some socio-economic reason against my will I would have to marry at 12 years old.

I probably would not have understood or I would have thought that everything was part of a joke; but unfortunately this is not part of any game or joke for the approximately 650 million girls married worldwide under the age of 18, according to UNICEF data. This is a sad reality for these girls.

Why is there child marriage?

Unfortunately it can be a consequence of global poverty, cultural traditions and lack of education among other things. All these are a part of what contributes to girls under the age of 18 getting married.

This injustice, as I personally call the intolerable act of marriage between a girl with an older man, happens around the world and is one of the main reasons why a large number of girls worldwide leave school, contract very serious sexual diseases, are victims of child labor and of deaths due to complications during pregnancy, natural abortions, domestic violence, among other things.

Girls deserve a life full of joy, education, love and care. If you analyze for a moment the consequences of child marriage, you will probably be surprised because some of the situations that girls go through are unimaginable. Most of them are not aware of their rights, nor of the risks involved in a marriage at an early age, however we are aware and we can raise our voices for those girls who are unjustly being subjected to slavery in a marriage against their will and taking care of babies when they are just entering the stage of puberty or adolescence.

How to support decreasing child marriage?

We can take action by writing about our concern for child marriage, promoting support for girl’s education, speaking with organizations in our cities to offer a volunteer service in order to help reduce marriages at early ages etc.

Article 16 The Universal Declaration of Human Rights

1. Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

2.Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.

"These girls, like us, have rights and it is in our hands to do something to change their future"

Angeline Michelle.