Gardening 101

Avatar Human | Translator | Writer | Climate Activist | World Peace Advocate | World Citizen
Imen Al-Nighaoui

Found on the Internet. Credit to the owner.

Mitigating climate change starts with steady and determent individual steps. Everyone is able to fight the impacts of climate change through changing their own daily life habits. Gardening, for instance, is one way to implement that. It doesn’t matter where do you live or what kind of a life you are leading, gardening is something that everyone of us is able to exercise. When you have space at your place try and use it for gardening, you can plant flowers or even vegetables inside recycled plastic products (bottles, containers, etc.…) or in pots. Whether, you live in a flat or in a house you can always spare a space for planting flowers and, even some vegetables. However, taking care of your plants require attention and passion. Thus, I would like to share with you these few steps that I followed in order to take care of my garden.

Step One: Seasonal Seeds

Rule number one of a successful harvest is growing seasonal plants. When growing tomato and pepper, you better do that in the summer and as far as lettuce and spring onion are concerned you better plant them by the end of winter and the beginning of spring. You have to make sure that you only have seasonal plants in your garden that way you would only have seasonal vegetables and fruits. That would help you lead a healthy life

Step Two: Natural Fertilizers

Fertilizers are an important element when it comes to taking care of plants. When growing flowers or other plants don’t use any chemical substances so you won’t harm your plant. We are trying to use natural and biological fertilizers, so our plants would grow naturally and healthily. You can make your own fertilizers through recycling home food waste (rotten vegetables, fruits and vegetables’ skin, etc.….) or through dead plants. Simply, in both cases you have to cut them and mix them with soil and add some worm fertilizer (you can find them at gardening stores). If you are not able to do apply that, just make sure to buy biofertilizers.

Step Three: Soil Preparation

Before planting anything you have to prepare the soil. All you need to do is to unroot unwanted herbs, turn the soil upside down, add the fertilizer and turn the soil upside down again. Then, you can plant whatever you want.

Step Four: Watering Plants

When it comes to watering, you have to know when and how much your plant needs water. Some plants don’t require regular watering and some others don’t need much water in order to grow. All, you have to do is to consult gardening shops worker when you buy the seeds and, he/she would provide you with the information needed. However, let me give you a tip on how to recognize the needs of a regular plant; all you have to do is to test the state of the soil by pushing your finger through it and see whether it is dry or not. Thus, if the soil is dry you need to water the plant and if the inside of the soil is still wet, then you don’t have to water it.

Step Five: Love and Patience

Finally, the most important thing is to do that with love and patience. The plant is a living creature, that breathes and feel. When, you take care of it with love the plant would feel it. You need to take care of it as if you are taking care of yourself. Moreover, you need to be patient with your plant and to be kind.

Gardening will teach you patience and empathy. It will show you love and happiness. When, gardening you will learn that whatever you give, you will receive in return. Thus, be kind to our earth.