End Cyber-bullying and Change the World Today

Avatar Ashley T.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

Sometimes, we can’t help but view the world as a dark, cruel place. It seems depraved and unforgiving, as if all forms of kindness and acceptance have been lost. More than 3 billion people around the world are now using the Internet, and ostensibly, this increased access to connectivity and nodes of communication is something that should be celebrated. However, it is indisputable that everything comes with a price.

With the advent of social media, an increasing number of youths are facing cyber-bullying, feeling isolated from and even ostracised by social groups. Statistics have shown that more than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyber threats online, and over 25% of adolescents and teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phones or the Internet (Bullying Statistics, n.d.). It is absolutely devastating that despite living in a world that is so connected, many of us still feel profoundly disconnected. So many stories around the world begin and end with this abominable phenomenon. From fifteen-year-old Amanda Todd to death threats received by the most prominent celebrities, there are countless of cases in which Internet users have suffered from emotional and psychological trauma due to cyber-bullying. But it seems as if many have begun to trivialise the effect that online bullying has on these victims. Granted, many of us understand that we should not indulge in any form of oppression, online or otherwise, but do we really practice what we preach?

It is imperative we understand that abstaining from partaking in the proliferation or spreading of vitriolic comments online is not enough. Witnessing others become victims of cyber-bullying, yet consciously choosing to be a bystander, is a dangerous mistake. If we continue to allow others to hide behind a veil of anonymity and decide not to take action to prevent such occurrences from repeating, then we are not the changemakers we say we are. We will be nothing more than observers, who had the chance to make a change, but didn’t. We will be nothing more than mere onlookers, who had the chance to speak out loud for those who needed the help of our voices, but didn’t. We will be nothing more, nothing less.

But we don’t have to be less. We can be more. We need to speak up, hold our ground, and put a stop to these atrocities.

Because the only way to slay a monster rearing its ugly head is to slice off its tongue before it seizes the opportunity to bellow its final roar.

Because the only way we can prevent is if we lend a helping hand.

Because we can, we will, we must.

References:

http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/cyber-bullying-statistics.html