Contemplations of a World on the Brink

Avatar Robert Lopez-Irizarry

It seems recently all that has absorbed the news have been stories of how close our world is to ending civilization. Whether it be the North Korea issue where former CIA Director Leon Panetta referred to the situation as the “most serious crisis...since Cuban Missile crisis”; Elon Musk recently tweeted out that Artificial Intelligence is a greater threat than North Korea. If you add in the possible more long term issues of Climate Change, Overpopulation, Desertification, or even the rise of Antibiotic resistant bacteria. All of these factors make it seem like our world is on the brink of destruction. I think about this a lot, being a young person who thinks about the future. Frankly, I am worried, this world that we have inherited is so messed up. Yet it is not our fault, we were just born into this situation, we, however, are expected to fix it.

Our generation, often is all over the news, with articles often citing how Millennials are killing certain products or they are lazy. Honestly, I do not see my generation that way, we are not the ones that built this screwed up world. It just so happens we ended up here. We are making the absolute best of our situations. So much of the world still lives in abject poverty, without access to clean water, without proper medical care, and with political oppression. Yet us the youth of this world are working tirelessly to make it a better place. The youth of the 21st century are visionaries, we look to utilize technology to make our communities a better place. We are more united than ever, I can facetime my friend in Azerbaijan or send a What’s App text to my other friend in Brazil. If our generation has proven anything it is that we are compassionate, hardworking, and determined humanitarians, not the lazy bums we are portrayed as.

We want to fix the problems the generations before us have left. An example of this is fellow Miami native, Delaney Reynolds. She is the founder of a Non-profit called Sink or Swim, and she is 18 years old. Reynolds saw the impacts that sea level rise and climate change was having on her community of South Florida, she took a stand and is now working to fight it. She has been instrumental in her community already, working on a piece of legislation that would require solar panels on all new homes in the city of South Miami. I know that there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands all over the world, doing similar work. Finding an issue in their community and working to solve it, whether that be violence against women, human trafficking, Climate Change, poverty, malnutrition, and the list goes on.

This is why I am tired of reading these articles that claim we are lazy or are ruining the world. We are not, like never before we are working to make it a better place. The youth of the world are using fearless ambition to solve the issues we face. So on this International Youth Day, where we are seemingly on the brink of destruction. I know that young people everywhere are striving to make their communities a better place. We are working to fix the problems that generations before us have caused. This century may be the most quintessential one in human history. It could bring our destruction or shoot us into progress and prosperity. It is up to us to make sure we survive this century, it is up to us to make sure we lift our world out of the grips of poverty. On International Youth Day, our world on the brink, always remember we can and will be the change our world needs.