Climate Change and the effects on my community

Jonas.Mueller

Panoramic picture taken on top of a mountain in April.
Normally there is a lot of snow at this time around.

Panoramic picture taken on top of a mountain in April. Normally there is a lot of snow at this time around.

Hey there, my name is Jonas Müller, I am 17 years old and I live in a small valley up in the Austrian Mountains. In the following blog, I would like to tell you about the impact of climate change on my community and what we do to protect our environment.

Currently, its April, its sunny outside and everybody is enjoying the nice weather. People are out on their bikes, walking through the forests and just living their lives. It’s nice to have some change, but this is not the change that is generally expected to happen this time of year around.

Normally there is still snow lying in the valley, and the people are skiing, but not this year! It all started this November, when the snow came much earlier than normal, and all of a sudden we were covered in snow, much more than the years before. Yet something was off. Something was different this time. I could, for the first time, experience the effects of climate change. It is a general misconception that climate change is just global warming, its so much more. The weather is changing and we notice!

My community has always been very keen on introducing new and innovative ways to reduce our carbon footprint. As a region that depends on tourism, people generally arrive in their cars. To limit the amount of cars in our small valley we have introduced the,,WalserBus’’ - a bus that transports people in and out of the valley so that they do not have to drive their cars around in our valley.

I hope that I was able to help you picture the effects that climate change has on my community, and I am welcome to a discussion afterwards.

Greetings from Austria!

Jonas