Are We Not All Equal?

Avatar Writer
Nafees A. Siddique

I was raised in a culture where we were taught to discriminate and to judge on the basis of race, color, creed and gender. Sadly when I grew older I realized that I was not alone, we were all raised in the same manner. I see that when something happens in Paris, when people die, the world’s social media networks happen to show their condolences for those gone, but when something happens in Pakistan or in Syria or in Palestine, it seems ‘they’ don’t care.

I wish someone would tell them that we are as humans as they are; I wish someone would tell them that those who passed away in Asia were as important as those who passed away in Europe. I wonder, and I will keep wondering, as the world grows older, if the values of being humane will continue to vanish.

My heart cries for every single loss no matter if he or she belongs to anywhere, any part of the same world we live in. My words are for those in authority and in power, to not judge people based on your standards. We all need to realize that the world is not about borders and religions, the world is shrinking day-by-day and people are getting closer, so are their hearts.

In the end, I would like to tell the world that we don’t need your condolences but when we see that you feel sad and show respect for others’ suffering and loss by changing your profile pictures but not for us, it hurts a little to know that we are not all equal.