A Guide On Preventing Mosquito-Borne Diseases

Daniella

Image Source: Pexels

Image Source: Pexels

People often think that mosquito bites are harmless and just a nuisance. In fact, mosquito bites have the potential to transmit numerous diseases to both humans and animals. Mosquitoes are common insects and can survive in various climates. Mosquitoes are active in warm weathers and will tend to go indoors when the surrounding temperature drops. There are times when you may not be aware when you are bitten by a mosquito. Mosquito-borne diseases usually do not show symptoms after days or weeks. It can be a life-threatening disease if it is not detected early. Some examples of mosquito-borne diseases are dengue, West Nile, Zika virus, Chikungunya, Yellow River and Japanese Encephalitis.

Prevention is crucial to avoid the spread of mosquito-borne diseases. The best way to protect your family and yourself is to avoid from getting bitten by mosquitoes. Besides that, it’s important to eliminate breeding grounds to reduce mosquito populations. Controlling mosquitoes is not a complicated process and can be done easily at home. Below are eight ways on how to control mosquitoes in your community:

1. Use insect repellent that are certified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). All insect repellents should contain DEET or lemon eucalyptus oil as one of the main chemical ingredients to ensure its effectiveness for mosquito bite prevention.

2. Always wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts whenever you are going outdoors.

3. Fix door and window screens in your home to keep mosquitoes from entering your home. You may also use a mosquito bed net in your room if you’re unable to fix the door and window screens.

4. Regularly monitor your backyard and housing compound for any mosquito breeding territory. Dispose empty bottles, broken vases and old tires that accumulate stagnant water.

5. Include plants in your garden that have natural mosquito repellent properties namely basil and lavender.

6. Organize a community clean-up to keep your neighbourhood clean and free from mosquito breeding sites. Trim grasses and clean any illegal dumps around your housing area.

7. Treat septic tanks and fountains with larvicides to eliminate mosquito larvae.

8. Get your family and yourself vaccinated if you are planning to travel to places that are prone to mosquito-borne disease outbreaks. Do not delay consulting a doctor when you show symptoms such as fever, nausea, joint pain and headache.

Mosquito-borne diseases will remain a threat to our society if no proper preventive measures are taken to reduce the mosquito population. Everyone of us should do our part to protect ourselves from mosquito-borne diseases. Help spread the awareness through social media, radio, TV and printed materials to ensure information is well disseminated among the local communities.