“To be Heard -To be Found In Writing”

Alma Dhiafira

2014 Literature competition representing my school, SMA Negeri 5 Surabaya in Pamekasan, Madura.

On one night, I opened my Line (a social network). I scrolled down the time line and surprisingly I found an interesting information about an international program. I think that let just dig more information. It’s not a hard work, just to tap the link and the website will pop up. It was AIESEC Youth Action Summit in New York from December 9-11, 2015. I am really interested in this kind of program, unfortunately I knew the information too late and I was not even sure if I could go for that.

On that night, my flaming spirit is to participate in United Nation lighting up lighter. It’s my big dream to participate in United Nation programs. Be the part of something huge. I searched in Google, “How to participate in United Nation as a student”. I found a blog that led me to a web called Voices of Youth.

To be honest, it’s my first time to find out about Voices of Youth. After I had dug more information on that website, I found that it’s a really inspiring website. “It was founded in 1995 by UNICEF”, written on the website. That’s awesome!

I really like writing. I love to do it both in Bahasa Indonesia and English, because I’m an Indonesian and I’m proud of my native language while English is the world language and it makes more people understand my perspectives and ideas. It takes time and a long process of thinking to create such a satisfying writing. It’s a hard work. I want to be appriciated on my hardwork. I open spaces for someone to criticize and praise my hardwork in writing.Through criticism, we learn how to accept and respect other opinions which we may also use it as an input for our continual improvement in writing our ideas more wisely.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank to UNICEF for creating such amazing platform for youth to speak up their mind. According to me, through this platform we, the youth may know and share with the perspective of other people from all over the world. These perspectives may be different from each other, because they come from different backgrounds. We may also learn how to appreciate or respect other people’s ideas and perspectives.

Hence, I believe that writing isn’t always associated with school education but it’s also a part of life growing process.