How can we address the problem of prejudice?

Posted Avatar Ivande Kingsley Sepase

Avatar Ivande Kingsley Sepase

There is a saying, “you never get the same moment twice”. This statement puts into perspective how amazing the brain really is. On a daily, hourly or even minute’s basis, we are constantly faced with varying scenarios and situations; non being exactly the same as the other yet our brains seamlessly navigate the majority of these situations. This raises the questions; ‘How is this possible?’, ‘What is the mechanism behind this phenomenon?’ Behind all these is the concept of Schemas. Schemas are...

It's Time To Break The Somali Mental Health Stigma

Posted no picture Ilhan Adan , Writer

no picture Writer
Ilhan Adan

Somalia is a nation with a rich history, a nation that births storytellers, writers, poets, and nomads; a country so beautiful it was once known as the "white pearl of the Indian Ocean." Like any other nation, we also have a history of war, pain, and trauma.For centuries, the Somali community has reduced the mental health crisis to be the "disease of the devil." Our trauma and pain started during the beginning of the civil war. One tremendous impact that the war had on people is that many Somali...

Football - a game of unity, not politics

Posted no picture Madina S. , Student

Madina S.

Let’s talk about football. This game is very simple at first glance. All you need is a ball. Football, or how it is known in the US, soccer, is very popular all over the world, regardless of nation, culture, race, gender and age. The World Cup – 2018 gathered millions of people in a competition, where countries were competing, not by showing off their military might or political influence, but by demonstrating professionalism and the preparedness of well-known athletes to the game. Football has...

WOMAN

Posted no picture nkirote , student

no picture student
nkirote

You see she's a woman her soul pours out in rivers her love tears through her stature she bleeds and brings forth life she speaks and her words are comfort she fights and screams You see she's a woman her children feed from her bosom and her heartbeat is the rhythm she gives the rhythm, life You see she's a woman she has a noose around her neck she speaks and its tightened she shouts and she's hanged her tears pour out and from her lips she says "I give you life, and mine you take "You see she'...

A letter to my younger intern self

Posted Avatar Hannah at The Intern 24/7 , Founder of The Intern 24/7

Avatar Founder of The Intern 24/7
Hannah at The Intern 24/7

Dear Hannah,You ready? I don't think you are. At the moment you're 18 and thinking you're re-inventing the wheel by interning...news flash, thousands of other girls are also doing the same across the country. So buckle up and get ready to compete. Just kidding, it's not a competition, but you'll feel like it is at times. Get ready to walk into rooms filled with celebrities, reality TV stars you can't stand, some of your heroes and some people who are so high on their own supply it'll make you qu...

The ruthless world

Posted Avatar Izza Malik , Budding human rights activist / Blogger at Escaping Space / Student

Avatar Budding human rights activist / Blogger at Escaping Space / Student
Izza Malik

We were stuck in a traffic jam in Liberty, Lahore. My mother brooded at the disorderly traffic, while I felt a prickling of delight for getting to hear my favourite Miley Cyrus song for a little while longer. I sat with my head resting against the car window, lost in thoughts enhanced by a background score of “The Climb.” My train of thought was cut short by my mother’s voice.“Move back!” She yelled. Reflexively, I shrunk back from the window. When I looked up, I saw a beggar standing at my sid...

Young People and Mental Health in a Changing World: WMH Day Message

Posted Avatar Soulfully, A Butterfly , Psychology Student, Mental Health Activist, International Youth Representative

Avatar Psychology Student, Mental Health Activist, International Youth Representative
Soulfully, A Butterfly

“Because you are young, you are torn between a world of hate and a world of dreams. So much to lose, so much to gain, so much to fight for, so much to change” (Unknown)Youth and children together, including all those aged 24 years and younger, account for nearly 40 percent of the world's population.In the height of modernity and advancement, it is still very hard to live in today’s world. As youth, we battle the effects of human rights violations, wars, and conflicts. We live on the internet, bu...

Emptiness

Posted no picture Niharika , student

no picture student
Niharika

There is a dark empty space in this city, in the heart of the people who dwell in its street.Hollow, bold and powerful, that shadows the courage which sets us free.We fill it with drink and smoke, we fill it with sorrows and jokes, we fill it with diamond and gold, we fill it with body and soul.For what stands in that emptiness is our virtues which we abandoned, to flock and dance to the beats of this empty world.The photos of your childhood that rust in the corner of your empty mind, that sweet...

What I wish my younger self knew

Posted no picture Ana Jović

no picture Ana Jović

Growing up, we all face difficult times. We have our happy days while playing in the sand, and sad days when we see people fight. Sometimes our sadness lasts for days, weeks or months. It's all a part of growing up. Puberty is the cause of it all, right? Puberty went away, but my sadness never did.Everyone knew me as the shy child, I didn't talk to other children or play with them. I had no friends for a long time, but I wasn't unhappy. My childhood was normal, I had my ups and downs. My family...