The Power of Words

Posted no picture Linh H , Student

Linh H

Words can heal but, sometimes, they can hurt too. In fact, the pain that words leave behind often goes unnoticed as there are no scars left on bodies. However, just because the scars are invisible, it doesn’t mean they don’t exist.To children, adults are like superior beings who know so much about this strange mysterious world, that they might as well know everything. It is not unusual that children to look up to adults and to believe everything they are told, from tooth fairies to Santa Claus....

From the Refugee Camp

Posted Avatar Aditya Acharya , Environmentalist

Avatar Environmentalist
Aditya Acharya

This is a fictionalized account inspired by recent stories reported in the news.I am Abdul Ramiz. I am ten years old. I am a Rohingya, they say. So I know I am a Rohingya but I do not know what that actually means. People around say we are in Bangladesh. Maybe, that is the name of the place we are living now. There are so many people here but no houses to live in.I am very tired and hungry. We walked so long before arriving here. My parents carried me on their back because I could not walk. And...

Not Just Kidding

Posted Avatar Nerissa Naidoo , Law Student

Avatar Law Student
Nerissa Naidoo

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. It is also a truth universally acknowledged that he was once a kid who cared about neither. Perhaps memory loss is a side-effect of puberty, but as soon as we receive our driver’s licenses, first pay cheque or utility bill, we suddenly view children as immature beings who don’t know any better. We, however, are the paragons of wisdom by virtue of the number of birthday candles we...

Lecture Hall Reflections

Posted Avatar Yumna Khan , Student at Rutgers University

Avatar Student at Rutgers University
Yumna Khan

It's the first day of the Fall semester and I'm sitting in a corner by the outlets, sipping on my coffee eagerly awaiting for my Staffing class to start. Then my professor walks in, completely changing the tense atmosphere of stressed college students to an atmosphere of laughter that’s almost completely stress-free.I immediately dropped my worries regarding the rest of the day and focused all my attention on this professor who somehow managed to be enthusiastic and very engaging with her studen...

Law of Repulsion

Posted Avatar Zainab Zubair , medical student

Avatar medical student
Zainab Zubair

Why does the thought of having something completely out of reach set our nerves on fire? Why is it that we are attracted more towards something which we know, deep down, that we can never have? Does it have something to do with human nature, or does it just happen to us women?I've always wondered throughout my life that I, as a woman, have had some specific habits that I've also observed in other women. One of those habits is the lust for something that I know clearly is way out of my reach. Whe...

Self-Empowerment in Three Parts

Posted no picture Danielle Warren , College Student

no picture College Student
Danielle Warren

Self-Empowerment in Three PartsI. SeeingThere are stacks of what-ifsthat surround me, I have been watchingthem form mountains and make a mockery of me, and I have anticipated avalanches,braced myself for the crushing weight of rock,and when it did not come, I squinted my eyesto see for the first time that there never was rock, just paper.II. BurningI throw matchesatop the stacks of what-ifs that surround mewatch them crumbleinto a dust ploom and pile of rubble,grin and cackle, then tuck the left...

Financial literacy

Posted no picture Gali , High School Student

no picture High School Student
Gali

As the world's population grows and evolves at an unprecedented rate, one thing is certain: in the future, more and more people will look for better, more comfortable and prosperous lives. Despite their best efforts, many find it hard to finance basic needs such as health care, education for their youngsters, and a proper housing. For many, those needs are nearly impossible to meet, despite being well-educated and having decent paying jobs. As governments, individuals and NGOs address these pr...

AMEE2017: The Reality Shifting Experience

Posted no picture Idil Kına , Medical Student

no picture Medical Student
Idil Kına

The phrase "Life Changing" is something you are familiar with if you are involved with people like you who want to make a difference in this world. The phrase is used usually to describe an experience: a conference that you attended, a project that was completed, an exchange where you meet people, or even something simple like a very inspiring conversation."Life Changing" is something I said quite often especially during last year that passed. I did stuff, met people, took decisions that were al...

Lost On An Iceberg

Posted Avatar Liam R , Student

Liam R

I’m lostOn an iceberg In the sea With a polar bear Right by me He’s warm and fluffy So soft and sweet But we are here together With nothing to eat No fish Nor walrus Just me and him A loyal companion Still tired and hungry But eat me he doesn’t He waits with patience How loyal he is He gives me guidance He gives me warmth He gives me comfort He gives me rest He gives me company He gives me confidence But yet he waits He looks tired and lonely But still has some hope...