Technology is Taking Away

Posted Avatar Kisslay Anand , Zila Swachh Bharat Prerak

Avatar Zila Swachh Bharat Prerak
Kisslay Anand

Oldies will relate and so will those who grew up in 80’s and 90’s: on one hand, technological development has given us fast-paced, easily accessible lives with too many choices, and at the same time it has taken away a lot from us.I grew up in the age of no mobile phones; the era when computers were just too new and luxuriously costly; the era when the landline in my house with expensive call rates for incoming as well outgoing call rates was the only hope for communication to our estranged frie...

Do we misuse technology?

Posted no picture Derick , Student

Derick

It’s human nature to blame others for one’s own failure. That’s why the word “excuses” exists, created to lessen a person’s own burdens by putting the blame on others.In high school, whenever I was late to class, I would always blame it on the buses not showing up on time, or the traffic. Fully knowing that I was the sole reason why I was late. Waking up 30 minutes before class, only giving me 10 minutes to prepare and 20 to get to school. It wasn’t because of the bus not showing up on time or t...

We need to make the internet safer

Posted no picture Russell J. , Student

Russell J.

During the Cold War, America was developing something that could grab information in a matter of seconds. This project was called the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network or ARPANET. This would help America build rockets and missiles faster during the arms and space race and could send military information. This would soon become the main breakthrough into something you are using right now to read this post: the internet.The internet has become the symbol of modern technology because of the...

U-Report: Enabling Youth Participation in Zimbabwe

Posted Avatar Courage Nyamhunga , Innovation Lead Specialist.

Avatar Innovation Lead Specialist.
Courage Nyamhunga

U-Report is a SMS mobile technology tool developed by UNICEF to empower youth to have a voice on the social and economic issues affecting their communities. Through free SMS participants, called U-Reporters, are able to respond to weekly polls and report issues, amplifying their voices at the local, regional and national levels of government.Through working in partnership with Zimbabwe Youth Council our lead implementing partner, U-Report expands young people’s representation in social and polit...

Shielded contact

Posted no picture Ashley , Student

Ashley

In today's globalised world, so many people are getting more and more immersed into technology. When I go out on my way to school in the mornings, I see bleary-eyed adults sitting on the train, reading emails from their employers or talking agitatedly into the phone. I see teenagers, earphones plugged in, listening to music, some not much older than myself, scrolling through messages on their phone, checking their feed and liking pictures posted by others. I see little children walking down the...

The Age Of Curation

Posted Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada

I'm scrolling down my Facebook News Feed. I have 1,566 friends on Facebook (most of whom I should ideally unfriend), so why do I see the same faces everyday? Are the others not as active? Or is there something else at play? Do you ever wonder the same? A TEDx talk I listened to in 2015 began like this: "What if I told you, that the world we live in, is something that is constructed for us, not something that is constructed by us." While the speaker set the stage for a much...

Inspire. Empower.

Posted Avatar Ximena_C_ , Activist

Avatar Activist
Ximena_C_

Do you want to be a leader? Do you have a passion? Do you want to make a difference in this world? If you answered yes to this questions, you and I already have few things in common. My name is Ximena Coronado, I'm 15 years old, and I'm an environmental activist. It all truly began when I created a petition on Care2 in June 2016 which was aimed to help the environment. I've had to change it often since I continued to do extensive research on the topic, which was over "styrofoam...

Whatever happened to living in the moment?

Posted no picture anon , What ever happened to living in the moment

no picture What ever happened to living in the moment
anon

Perfection is seen nowadays as the perfect Instagram ‘’flow’’ or the perfect life everyone in society desires through pictures. The expectation that social media has created for men and women to be perfect through images is absurd. Whatever happened to living in the moment? Everything has to be posted, and at times people go out of their way to go on adventures just so they can post about it on Instagram, rather than enjoying life in the present moment or focusing on more impor...

Social Media and Our Youth

Posted no picture lol

Running around the neighbourhood until it was dark, playing in mud, making cubbies in the bushes, why did it all of a sudden stop being a childhood? Social media and the advance of technology is the biggest culprit to the innocence of youth being ripped from them, like it was nothing. Growing up in a world where social media runs society children have advanced technology that we didn’t have 10 years ago, it should come as no surprise that children are growing up quicker and exponen...