How Instagram made a big hole in my life

Posted no picture Anik Mei D.

no picture Anik Mei D.

Nowadays, we live with the swift flow of technology. Technology is growing rapidly, innovation is endlessly flowing. Along with the proliferation of smartphones and Android operating systems, people can now easily access the internet with the gadget in their hands.Taking photos is also easy, capturing the moment whenever you want. In the end, you most likely will upload it to Instagram. Yes, who doesn't know this photo sharing application? Almost everyone knows the fun application for 'showing o...

Ditching dread and befriending hope!

Posted no picture Fatima S , Student, Activist

no picture Student, Activist
Fatima S

I’ve recently have made a new friend. Dread. The uneasy feeling has become a constant companion but is most definitely an unwelcome one. I can’t pinpoint the exact moment we became inseparable but its been making its presence much more known in the past little while. I sense that my looming adulthood might have something to do with it. Slowly, that youthful idealization is being chipped away, one horrific news story at a time. My most visited sites on my laptop used to be news sites but now I ca...

Technology is Taking Away

Posted Avatar Kisslay Anand , Zila Swachh Bharat Prerak

Avatar Zila Swachh Bharat Prerak
Kisslay Anand

Oldies will relate and so will those who grew up in 80’s and 90’s: on one hand, technological development has given us fast-paced, easily accessible lives with too many choices, and at the same time it has taken away a lot from us.I grew up in the age of no mobile phones; the era when computers were just too new and luxuriously costly; the era when the landline in my house with expensive call rates for incoming as well outgoing call rates was the only hope for communication to our estranged frie...

Do we misuse technology?

Posted no picture Derick , Student

Derick

It’s human nature to blame others for one’s own failure. That’s why the word “excuses” exists, created to lessen a person’s own burdens by putting the blame on others.In high school, whenever I was late to class, I would always blame it on the buses not showing up on time, or the traffic. Fully knowing that I was the sole reason why I was late. Waking up 30 minutes before class, only giving me 10 minutes to prepare and 20 to get to school. It wasn’t because of the bus not showing up on time or t...

We need to make the internet safer

Posted no picture Russell J. , Student

Russell J.

During the Cold War, America was developing something that could grab information in a matter of seconds. This project was called the Advanced Research Projects Agency Network or ARPANET. This would help America build rockets and missiles faster during the arms and space race and could send military information. This would soon become the main breakthrough into something you are using right now to read this post: the internet.The internet has become the symbol of modern technology because of the...

U-Report: Enabling Youth Participation in Zimbabwe

Posted Avatar Courage Nyamhunga , Voices of Youth Team Member

Avatar Voices of Youth Team Member
Courage Nyamhunga

U-Report is a SMS mobile technology tool developed by UNICEF to empower youth to have a voice on the social and economic issues affecting their communities. Through free SMS participants, called U-Reporters, are able to respond to weekly polls and report issues, amplifying their voices at the local, regional and national levels of government.Through working in partnership with Zimbabwe Youth Council our lead implementing partner, U-Report expands young people’s representation in social and polit...

Shielded contact

Posted no picture Ashley , Student

Ashley

In today's globalised world, so many people are getting more and more immersed into technology. When I go out on my way to school in the mornings, I see bleary-eyed adults sitting on the train, reading emails from their employers or talking agitatedly into the phone. I see teenagers, earphones plugged in, listening to music, some not much older than myself, scrolling through messages on their phone, checking their feed and liking pictures posted by others. I see little children walking down the...

The Age Of Curation

Posted Avatar Thamara Kandabada

Avatar Thamara Kandabada

I'm scrolling down my Facebook News Feed. I have 1,566 friends on Facebook (most of whom I should ideally unfriend), so why do I see the same faces everyday? Are the others not as active? Or is there something else at play? Do you ever wonder the same? A TEDx talk I listened to in 2015 began like this: "What if I told you, that the world we live in, is something that is constructed for us, not something that is constructed by us." While the speaker set the stage for a much...

Inspire. Empower.

Posted Avatar Ximena_C_ , Activist

Avatar Activist
Ximena_C_

Do you want to be a leader? Do you have a passion? Do you want to make a difference in this world? If you answered yes to these questions, you and I already have few things in common. My name is Ximena Coronado, I'm 15 years old, and I'm an environmental activist. It all truly began when I created a petition on Care2 in June 2016 which was aimed to help the environment. I've had to change it often since I continued to do extensive research on the topic, which was over "styrofoa...